American Comedies Brits Like? Page 2

The last funny American comedy was Taxi, today's offerings are total rubbish.

Quote: Ray Newman @ March 5 2010, 6:05 AM GMT

This statement is incorrect.

If you like Taxi you would/should like It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia. Do any American viewers out there know when they will start airing more of season 5?

Why does every single person always generalise?

Taxi was terrific though.

For me it goes Taxi - Cheers - Seinfeld.
Those were the benchmarks.

Quote: Steve Sunshine @ March 5 2010, 11:52 PM GMT

Why does every single person always generalise?

Laughing out loud

Quote: deckard @ March 5 2010, 11:44 PM GMT

Do any American viewers out there know when they will start airing more of season 5?

Howdy thar Deckard, I am an Americahn viewa. It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia 5 aired from Sept 17th to 10th Dec on FX (In the US), I think that was the whole series (12 episodes). Or are they reshowing it and that's what ya referring to?

Taxi hit some real highs, created some really nice characters but it reached some real lows too, especially when Carol Kane started to feature more prominently in Andy Kaufman's absence. A show that would have benefitted from stopping after a few or three series.

OK then. Let's think.

MASH
Cheers
Soap

I think that's about it!

Quote: The Giggle-o @ March 6 2010, 12:03 AM GMT

Laughing out loud

Howdy thar Deckard, I am an Americahn viewa. It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia 5 aired from Sept 17th to 10th Dec on FX (In the US), I think that was the whole series (12 episodes). Or are they reshowing it and that's what ya referring to?

Taxi hit some real highs, created some really nice characters but it reached some real lows too, especially when Carol Kane started to feature more prominently in Andy Kaufman's absence. A show that would have benefitted from stopping after a few or three series.

Season's over? Doesn't seem like there were enough episodes aired.

Quote: deckard @ March 6 2010, 12:07 AM GMT

It's nearly Spring.

My source: http://epguides.com/ItsAlwaysSunnyinPhiladelphia/
I'm not really American. But I bet I nearly fooled with my accent.
:$ ;)

Currently watching The Office: An American Workplace and really enjoying it! One of my top ten comedies would be Arrested Development, too.

I'd recommend (as a real American with my unfortunate western NY accent) Modern Family, Big Bang Theory, older 30 Rock episodes and Castle, which is a dark comedy mystery series that isn't meant to be taken seriously but can really be a hoot at times.

Quote: Chappers @ March 6 2010, 12:10 AM GMT

It's nearly Spring.

Maybe this should have tipped me off?

Season's over? doesn't seem like there were enough episodes aired.

The Xmas DVD is counted as an episode in the 5th Series if that helps pad it out!

They contractually are set up to make another 26 episodes, so that should be another 2 series as long as FX doesn't fold.

Police Squad, made some years before the Naked Gun, had a following. Also starring Leslie Neilsen there were some very funny half hours.

Quote: youngian @ March 9 2010, 1:29 PM GMT

Police Squad, made some years before the Naked Gun, had a following. Also starring Leslie Neilsen there were some very funny half hours.

Less than you might remember though. They only made 6 episodes and while 3 of them are very funny indeed, the other 3 are pretty patchy. Worth owning the DVD just for Drebbin's lengthy lament about once sharing an apartment with a man.

"They ran him out of town like a common pygmy..."

Quote: AndreaLynne @ March 6 2010, 12:17 AM GMT

I'd recommend (as a real American with my unfortunate western NY accent) Modern Family

I just started watching that, it's very funny.

Although the useless dad sometimes approaches the cusp of being annoying. With his flirting with every sexy woman that crosses his path and his stupidness and his trying to be cool in front of his daughter's boyfriend.

He is still funny at the moment, but I can imagine it getting too much.