Couple of Stand Up questions Page 3

Quote: Griff @ January 26 2010, 8:36 PM GMT

And don't forget stand-up comedy in arts centres where the audience have all come straight from their macrame classes and politely clap at everything.

Yeah and don't laugh but give pitying 'ahhs' when I tell jokes about my sad life.

Quote: Dolly Dagger @ January 26 2010, 8:32 PM GMT

not actually writing any material

An open spot guy I saw last year actually told this as a 'joke'. " Didn't you used to hate it when you'd call your girlfriends house and her Dad answered, yeah? I hated that, you're like, no, her Dad! You get me?" I haven't changed it, that is actually what he said! He didn't even follow it with anything, just went onto the next unrelated bit.

People actually laughed at this and the rest of his terrible five minutes of 'material'.

I will be going to watch a few open spot nights over the next couple of months, like Dolly mentioned, that is the best way to see what you're up against. I will be having a go myself in the summer. Alot of people say when you start you shouldn't do 'dark' humour, but I can't help it.

For instance, I've turned on 'How to look good Naked' The amputee special, and I thought of the gag..

'Did anybody see How to look good naked? where that strange chinese he/she Gok Wan, encourages woman who have had limbs amputated to become more confident and sexy by essentially stripping naked to reveal their true body figure, he even said to a wheelchair bound lady, 'Girlfriend, you look great in those hot wheels!'

What's next? A woman with just a head... and a torso?

Gok: Girlfriend, you work that pillow!

Quote: Dolly Dagger @ January 26 2010, 8:32 PM GMT

You'll also see how a lot of new open spot stand-ups let themselves down by being unprepared, not actually writing any material or just tell one story and one gag in their whole act. Have you booked a gig yet - you sometimes have to wait months?

You'd think a new act would OVER prepare! If getting is scary...doing it with one gag must be the work of a madman!

No - no gig yet, was thinking of a standup course....just as a sort of pussy way into the thing?

Quote: Griff @ January 27 2010, 12:04 AM GMT

Yes. There are quite a lot of people on the stand-up circuit who would be better off getting psychiatric help.

*Waits for Morrace to post a picture of Griff*

;)

Any experience of them/know anyone that did one? Laughing Horse seem to have loads running?

It seemed liked a nice (ish) place to start...at least if you suck no one's yelling out "get off the f**kin stage" (you'd hope)

Logan Murray it is - I assume rolling up as a complete newbie is expected? I working on the principal that there's no point doing any open mic stuff till post course?

I did a course and would highly recommend it. Does Gill Smith still do them in Reading? She's a very nice lady and sometimes posts on here.

Pity ... as I'm a Readite (Readingite? Readyan? Person of Reading heritage?)

I would recommend Logan's course, Amused Moose run a complete beginners course as well as a more intermediate one.

I'm based in Wiltshire, not too far from Swindon, so if you ever fancy meeting up to have a chat about comedy or want me to have a look over any of your material, give feedback or advice just let me know.

Tony,

Thats very much appreciated and an offer I shall be sure to take you up on at some point!

Actually...not sure how many brave the critique section but I put a quick taster in there the other day (didnt mention gordon brown or willys enough to get much feedback though ;) )

Booked on the 8 weekend Logan Murry Beginners Stand Up course in April/May!!!!

So...step 1 tomorrow is explain to my accountant that its a viable business expense as it will develop my presentation and public speaking skills.....and step 2 is create my Wikipedia page with the opening line - Mr Lewis began his foray into comedy late, attending a Stand Up course at the age of 36 :)

Let us know how it goes. 36?! A mere pup! ;)
I myself haven't gigged in yonks.
finding it hard to even get a spot at the mo.
Might have one for March in bristol though. we shall see.

Quote: Mr Lewis @ February 5 2010, 12:21 AM GMT

Booked on the 8 weekend Logan Murry Beginners Stand Up course in April/May!!!!

So...step 1 tomorrow is explain to my accountant that its a viable business expense as it will develop my presentation and public speaking skills.....and step 2 is create my Wikipedia page with the opening line - Mr Lewis began his foray into comedy late, attending a Stand Up course at the age of 36 :)

Go for it Mr Lewis, let us know how you get on.

Looking forward to hearing how you get on Mr Lewis.

I believed we have conversed slightly in the critque forum a few times.

I am also going on a standup course this weekend in Birmingham, so would be happy to look at any material you develop in the next coming weeks, maybe you'd return the favour?

I'm a complete beginner to, but have been posting in the forums for a little while now and this site has helped me a bucket load in getting my writing style sorted out.
This thread has answered allot of my own questions about stand-up (I thought I was alittle late getting into it, at 27, but I can see that is not true now).

Here's to success (in which ever form you want it) Laughing out loud