What are you reading right now? Page 97

Frankie Boyle's autobiography, 'My Shit Life So Far'.

The Faerie Queen by Edward Spenser. Unimpressed

Quote: Yatta @ February 1 2010, 4:44 PM GMT

Frankie Boyle's autobiography, 'My Shit Life So Far'.

Me too, loving it.

A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man by James Joyce. Unimpressed

Started Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell by Susanna Clarke, which was recently translated and released in Latvian (I have the book in English, but somehow never got around reading it), but had to put it on ice, since I borrowed Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (read it! literary equivavent of popcorn; impossible to put down, but ultimately empty) and Dan Brown's Lost Symbols - just because I'm reluctant to spend money for either of those.

Oh yeah. Reading Lord of the Rings for the first time to my eldest as a bedtime story, and he's loving it.

I'm reading 'The Knight's Templar of the Middle East' co-written by my lecturer who's also a mate. Set to become the next 'Holy Blood and Holy Grail' the inspiration for The Da Vinci Code.

Quote: WrongTale @ February 22 2010, 10:21 AM GMT

Oh yeah. Reading Lord of the Rings for the first time to my eldest as a bedtime story, and he's loving it.

Even the impenetrable poetry?

In a raffle at the weekend I was lucky enough to win Positively Happy: Cosmic Ways To Change Your Life by Noel Edmonds. I can hardly wait to start reading...

Quote: sootyj @ February 22 2010, 10:27 AM GMT

Hey a lot of the poetry in LoTR is not at all bad, The Road Goes on Forever, The Stone Troll,etc. Admittedly some of the poems written in Elvish are a little impenetrable.

Quote: WrongTale @ February 22 2010, 10:21 AM GMT

Started Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell by Susanna Clarke

Took a little bit of getting into, but stick with it. It is one of those books which sucks you into an alternate world from which you cannot tear yourself away. Which is ironic really.

Quote: sootyj @ February 22 2010, 10:27 AM GMT

LOL :) Good point.
I'm skipping most of it (I'm reading the translated version, of course). Especially the longer songs/poems - some that are important to the plot, e.g., the poem used to summon help of Tom Bombadill, are not skipped.
The guy's just turned seven, so... I'm doing a bit of abridged version along the way, leaving out some of the most eloquent parts, e.g., the many houses and families of hobbits and their relations. He will read it all when time comes, if he wants to.

Quote: Timbo @ February 22 2010, 10:41 AM GMT

Took a little bit of getting into, but stick with it. It is one of those books which sucks you into an alternate world from which you cannot tear yourself away. Which is ironic really.

Yes, this seems to be a general consensus. However, I got sucked in at once - probably because I used to love Dickens, and the idea of Dickensian fantasy has massive appeal for me :)

Charlie Brooker's Sreen Burn

I just finished Ask the Dust by John Fante.

Fante is kind of the Los Angeles version of Steinbeck (more gritty and pulpy). If you like writing about writers, then it is worth a read.

Making friends with Demons by Graham Joyce

It's so dman good I'm forcing myslef to pace myself. Like a junkie only pushing the syringe half way.

Quote: sootyj @ February 26 2010, 4:00 PM GMT

It's so dman good I'm forcing myslef to pace myself. Like a junkie only pushing the syringe half way.

I know the feeling.
In them olden days I even used to get up and pace a room a bit, if the book was too good - this helped settling down the thoughts, I guess :)

But when a book is that brill it kinda takes over. I read Stephen King's Under the Dome in about 3 days.