Getting Started With Writing Each Day

Hi everyone, I'm new here so I thought I'd do a little post to introduce myself, but am not egotistical enough to make a thread soley about myself (I'm working on it, I promise) I thought I'd put a question to you all.

My name is CJ, I'm currently at the University of Essex and I'm just about to finish my degree and enter this big wide world people keep telling me about. I'm interested in all aspects of comedy, I'm currently writing some sitcoms, stand up material (which, who knows, some day I may even have the cajones to perform) as well as some articles for the student union paper.

Right, there we go, now I've got that out of the way on to something we can all discuss. How does everyone practise their writing skills? Now I'm sure everyone is thinking that the answer is if you want to be a writer, start writing, but specifically what do each of you do? I write Charlie Brooker-esque rants a lot of the time, criticising those very mundane things in life that annoy me. Also when I'm really bored I'll just do some stuff like designing Tom Swifties ("We just had sex" Tom put in) or make up funny word of the day definitions (Transmute: A cross dresser who doesn't like to talk about it). What does everyone else do to get them started?

I didn't get where I am today CJ without a proper routine, Handed pumped latte and an almond croissant for me - and then see if there is any golf on to watch. Doesn't have to be ladies golf.

Quote: Marc P @ February 11 2010, 8:43 AM GMT

I didn't get where I am today CJ without a proper routine, Handed pumped latte and an almond croissant for me - and then see if there is any golf on to watch. Doesn't have to be ladies golf.

Do they do croissants in Norfolk?

I am culturaling up the area.

Quote: Marc P @ February 11 2010, 8:43 AM GMT

I didn't get where I am today CJ without a proper routine, Handed pumped latte and an almond croissant for me

So the key is caffeine and bakery goods? Sir, I have been preparing for this my entire life Laughing out loud

Quote: CJDragon @ February 11 2010, 9:16 AM GMT

So the key is caffeine and bakery goods? Sir, I have been preparing for this my entire life Laughing out loud

It's a major key! :)

Hello CJ. I always need a freshly ground coffee, then I just start typing and hope that sentences appear before bedtime. Alternatively I sit there with my head in my hands and sigh for a bit.

Its important to have a morning routine. And stick to it.
I have three rules.

Heavy use of cannabis.
A line of coke
At least three bottles of Jack Daniels

I never write a damn thinng but I find that after my daily routine it doesn't matter anyway.

Quote: Marc P @ February 11 2010, 9:22 AM GMT

It's a major key! :)

Being on the coast, would that be Cmajor?

Coat time

:D

Quote: CJDragon @ February 11 2010, 8:40 AM GMT

How does everyone practise their writing skills? Now I'm sure everyone is thinking that the answer is if you want to be a writer, start writing, but specifically what do each of you do?

If devoid of original thought (like me) you could do worse than just copy chunks out of the 'classics'. Good for technique.

[/quote]
How does everyone practise their writing skills? [/quote]
It's not that I'm in any kind of enviable position, or feel qualified to help, but I do write quite a lot each day by starting with a free-write. I think pretty much any course teaches this, but it really works for me.

If it's not for any particular project I'll just start with a:
I hope I never have to...
or a
I want to write something that...
or a
It would be bloody hillarious if...

You get the picture, and not let myself stop writing until something worthwhile comes out. Then by the time it does, I don't really want to stop writing anyway.

It's terribly self-indulgent and produces a helluva load of crap, but it works ffor me.

Drugs, alcohol and thrash metal also make this more fun.

Don't eat anything until the afternoon. That stuff about breakfast being the most important meal of the day is bullshit.

An empty stomach brings out the hunter-gatherer in you. Train your ape brain to link work with food.

You'll have 1000 words done before Loose Women, guaranteed.

Yes ... Loose women...loose women...yum yum...munchies....

aaagghhh!!!! theres a feckin lizard coming out of the screen...pills...wheres my feckin pills oh shit I just pissed myself

mom mom mommy I love you - sob - the carpet man the CARPET...wow....

Quote: Kevin Murphy @ February 11 2010, 11:15 AM GMT

Don't eat anything until the afternoon. That stuff about breakfast being the most important meal of the day is bullshit.

An empty stomach brings out the hunter-gatherer in you. Train your ape brain to link work with food.

You'll have 1000 words done before Loose Women, guaranteed.

Of course you'll get it done before loose women - they are too busy out there shagging around to get any writing done.