Ian Carmichael RIP

Sad news to hear that this veteran of the boom times for British cinema has died. School for Scoundrels is a film I could watch all the time and I will always remember him as Bertie Wooster alongside Dennis Price in World of Wooster.

Yes, sad news. Private's Progress is another classic.

RIP.

Sad news indeed.:(

I loved his Bertie Wooster and he is still the one I visualise when reading the stories.

Very sad - he always seemed such a 'nice' person.

Shame, but 89's not bad going.

Loved those iconic films of the 1950s & 60s he was in - School For Scoundrels, Heaven's Above and, especially, I'm All Right Jack.

Don't forget Wind in the Willows. That's how I know of him. RIP.

Yep! Me too. Wooster was one of the first adult TV programmes I remember.

RIP Ian

Quote: Chappers @ February 6 2010, 4:37 PM GMT

Wooster was one of the first adult TV programmes I remember.

Jonathan Ross has got one.

Great guy-Some of my earliest Saturday afternoon film comedy memories must of contained him particularly School for Scoundrels and I'm Alright Jack. Also seem to remember him advertising Paul Mason's Californian Wine ("They're rather jolly good").

Hard Cheese.

Did he take the lead in the awful film adaptation of Lucky Jim?

Is Kenneth Moore still knocking about?

Quote: Dolly Dagger @ February 8 2010, 1:53 PM GMT

Hard Cheese.

Did he take the lead in the awful film adaptation of Lucky Jim?

Yes

Is Kenneth Moore still knocking about?

Er, no.

He was such a fine comedy actorhe has left a great legacy of work. The films he made with the Boulting Brothers were British classics. Watch 'School for Scoundrels' Dolly, Carmichael vs. Terry Thomas - its excellent.

Quote: vigo @ February 8 2010, 8:07 PM GMT

He was such a fine comedy actorhe has left a great legacy of work. The films he made with the Boulting Brothers were British classics. Watch 'School for Scoundrels' Dolly, Carmichael vs. Terry Thomas - its excellent.

Yes I have seen the film many times, hence this reference in my post.

Hard Cheese.

Lucky Jim was still an awful adaptation of a great book.