Channel 4 commissioning

Do they limit comedy commissioning to Comedy Lab and Comedy Showcase or are there other avenues? Basically, a production company have optioned an idea of mine and wanted to attach a certain comedian for comedy lab. However, he's submitting his own project for it and doesn't wanna cancel then out. Is it best to attach someone else, even though this guy is perfect for it, or hold off and hopefully submit with him on board with a direct submission?

At a guess, I'd say there is a normal commissioning procedure aside from CL and CS.

The trick is for your prodco to know somebody on the inside at C4.
Of course, it's assumption. I'm sure somebody will come along soon with more concrete info.

How much does everyone know about the 'Comedy Labs'? A prod company is going to pitch my script/idea to them. I assume the 'famous people' who have tried their hand at sitcoms get first dibs?

Quote: Flaner @ February 9 2010, 12:30 AM GMT

How much does everyone know about the 'Comedy Labs'? A prod company is going to pitch my script/idea to them. I assume the 'famous people' who have tried their hand at sitcoms get first dibs?

Not strictly true but obviously some sort of track record helps, as in anything. It usually also helps if you have talent attached but that doesn't preclude a really great idea getting through. You have to remember though that Comedy Labs are VERY highly sought-after (WHY aren't the BBC doing an equivalent??) Plus you've got the big indies like Hat Trick and Baby Cow etc all jostling for their slice of the pie.

Good news on your production company pitching your stuff, fingers crossed - you never know! Peter Kay and Jimmy Carr started their telly careers on Comedy Lab.

So did The Magoons.

Ahem.

Anyone else got anything in this year's labs? Mine got pitched this week, and I'm waiting on a response now.

Quote: Flaner @ April 21 2010, 3:58 PM BST

Anyone else got anything in this year's labs? Mine got pitched this week, and I'm waiting on a response now.

I thought the deadline hadn't even passed yet.

Maybe it hasn't! I'm not known for being particulary 'in the loop' on these things.

Wasnt the deadline 28th feb?

At one point, not anymore.

Looks like may now, end of april

Found out today my script has made the shortlist! Possibly exciting times ahead. Anyone else heard back?

Well done Flaner
Fingers crossed.

Congrats. :) What's it about?

You need a USP, a heightened skillset, and top level content. Without that - forget it.

Quote: jim field @ July 2 2010, 6:53 PM BST

You need a USP, a heightened skillset, and top level content. Without that - forget it.

Is that what 'Hung Out' had?