BBC Christmas Lunch

I wrote this over Christmas for Newsjack. Probably not the most topical sketch in the world, but I liked it.

---

BBC CHRISTMAS LUNCH

MILES:
The festive season is now well and truly behind us. We've finished off the last of the mince pies, drank the last drop of Christmas booze, farted out the last of the sprouts, and hopefully forgotten about all the dire TV we watched. But why is Christmas telly so rubbish? We visited Television Centre to find out, starting in the BBC canteen...

FX: BBC CANTEEN ATMOS

BBC WOMAN:
Hello, could I have the Christmas lunch please?

SERVER:
Coming right up.

FX: PLASTIC BAG OF GUTS BEING DROPPED ON COUNTER

BBC WOMAN:
Oh my God! What the hell is that?

SERVER:
It's the BBC canteen Christmas special.

BBC WOMAN:
But it's just a big bag of offal.

SERVER:
It's a festive edition. A compilation of all the bits of unusable turkey we scraped up throughout the year, all the stuff we had to cut out the first time around.

BBC WOMAN:
How is that festive?

SERVER:
We've put a bit of tinsel on it, look.

BBC WOMAN:
But there's human hair in there.

SERVER:
Yeah, that's David Tennant's. BBC guidelines, I'm afraid – all Christmas output has to be at least 15% Tennant.

BBC WOMAN:
It's revolting.

SERVER:
You also get a free

FX: SLEIGH BELLS

BBC WOMAN:
A free

SERVER:
Yeah, wouldn't be Christmas without a

BBC WOMAN:
Can I have extra sprouts with it?

SERVER:
'Course you can luv, it is Christmas.

END

I liked it. Good central idea. Not sure the Miles intro does much for it, though, and the ending fizzles out a bit.

I like it.

Agree with Badge - it's just the Miles intro and last two lines which let it down really.

Polish it up and send it in again next year. It'll be a joke within a joke.

The sleigh bells made me laugh. A first.

I liked the 15% of Tennant :D

Quote: CKY88 @ January 8 2010, 3:46 PM GMT

I liked the 15% of Tennant :D

Me too.

Hi Kev

I don't think there's enough guts to it (ba bum bum) to be honest.

The 15% of Tennant is a brilliant line, laugh out loud funny, but the sleigh bells ringing and the offal bag seem to be two different sketch ideas incorporated into one, if you see what I mean. Maybe split them into two and meat them out a bit.

Dan

Thanks for all the feedback everyone. Agree that the ending could have been stronger. I thought it would have worked better with the FX, but it was a bit of a risk, admittedly.