How many sketches do you write per week? Page 2

Quote: Godot Taxis @ October 4, 2007, 8:24 PM

None. I have only ever written one sketch ever – and that was probably shit. Why are people so fixated on them here?

Because that is one of the more common routes into the comedy writing industry. There are certainly more sketch competitions and opportunities than sitcom and once you are in you have a better chance of getting onto a sitcom.

My calculation has to be changed now as I wrote two last night whilst trying to sleep. All seem to be for tv rather than radio, so i hope opps come up there soon.

I think sketch writing can become an addiction for some writers. Certainly there have been times in my life when I was churning out sketches with no real purpose. Perhaps there should be an AA style group for people suffering from this compulsion?

Quote: ContainsNuts @ October 5, 2007, 10:10 AM

Because that is one of the more common routes into the comedy writing industry. There are certainly more sketch competitions and opportunities than sitcom and once you are in you have a better chance of getting onto a sitcom.

Ditto.

Quote: ContainsNuts @ October 5, 2007, 10:10 AM

My calculation has to be changed now as I wrote two last night whilst trying to sleep.

Doh! Now we're out of synch! I will try and write two tonight.

Actually I write about 1 a month and then I animate it, the balance is a bit wrong though, I need to write about 10 a month and animate the best one which is why I'm taking some time off from animation for a while.

Quote: ShoePie @ October 5, 2007, 1:01 PM

Doh! Now we're out of synch! I will try and write two tonight.

Haha - i should write more as the more you do the better you get and these comps generally ask you to send in anything and its nice to have a ready-made collection rather than panicking with 10 mins to go before the deadline trying to think of 'one more'.

Quote: Godot Taxis @ October 4, 2007, 8:24 PM

None. I have only ever written one sketch ever – and that was probably shit. Why are people so fixated on them here?

It's not a fixation...it's a bit of fun and maybe a chance for people to show what they've written. I for one never thought i could even write one until i joined on here, and it gave me the confidence to give it a go. It's not for everyone and if you're not interested in writing them -don't read the posts involving them! :)

Quote: EllieJP @ October 5, 2007, 5:06 PM

It's not a fixation...it's a bit of fun and maybe a chance for people to show what they've written. I for one never thought i could even write one until i joined on here, and it gave me the confidence to give it a go. It's not for everyone and if you're not interested in writing them -don't read the posts involving them! :)

Ooooooooohh!

Quote: chipolata @ October 5, 2007, 10:42 AM

I think sketch writing can become an addiction for some writers. Certainly there have been times in my life when I was churning out sketches with no real purpose. Perhaps there should be an AA style group for people suffering from this compulsion?

What - Alan Alexander group?

Really though - a sitcom could - or even should - be a series of sketches linked together. Stretch them out with a story and you've got a sit - and maybe even a com.

Quote: David Chapman @ October 5, 2007, 8:16 PM

Really though - a sitcom could - or even should - be a series of sketches linked together. Stretch them out with a story and you've got a sit - and maybe even a com.

Agree in principle, but disagree in the detail because then you end up with a 'Max and Paddy'. If ever a script should have been written on spontaneously combustible paper, that was the one.

In long-form, each scene should move the plot forward, the writer should say 'this scene is here because ... (example) we learn auntie is coming to stay, leading to tension between the hearers'

But saying that, each scene COULD then be written almost as a standalone sketch BUT the important distinction between sketch and scene excerpt is that (in the scene excerpt) there's an underlying but very rigid movement from A to B rather than a more free-form 'let my brain run on neutral and see where this ends up.' The latter being a no-no in a longer piece but more acceptable in sketches. But even in sketches I know my start and end point before beginning.

And the other differentiation is that a sitcom scene MUST discharge its responsibilities, its justification for existing. A sketch doesn't have to do this. It's the heroin of the comedy world. It's a quick hit and then it's gone. It's only resonsibility and justification is that it makes people laugh.

Saying that it is easy to spot an obvious cul-de-sac that the writer put in because it contained a favourite gag or dialogue that they wanted to shoe-horn in. The Young Ones springs to mind as the most obvious example where this occurs but then the plots were never Dickens but rambling monstrosities, which at times added to their charm and at other times irritated the life out of me.

The disadvantage with ignoring plot is that I regularly watch Yes, Minister and Fawlty Towers even though I know them soooo well, because the storylines are brilliant. In contrast, I've watched my Young Ones DVDs once. The plot will definitely add layers and longevity and sustainability. IMO.

:D

Well I wrote 5 in the end. I came up with an idea for one today, but thats merely ideas written on a piece of paper at the minute. 3 of the sketches I'm very happy with. One I'm quite happy with and the other one is going on the 'maybe' pile. Now a new week is about to start and so is my paranoia over writers block!

Quote: David Chapman @ October 5, 2007, 8:16 PM

Ooooooooohh!

David let's not be causing trouble! :P

Quote: EllieJP @ October 7, 2007, 10:31 PM

David let's not be causing trouble! :P

Who? Me?

I quite like writing sketches because they are quick and easy. I suppose the problem is polishing the little devils up. Although I brought an mp3 recording thingy and it's quite useful for roughly recording the sketches ideas down.

sketches can be useful to put into sitcom scripts but the trick is you have to combine it and move the story along but if you have a bunch of sketches you can pick one to fit the script sometimes....

I have started to record a podcast so I am thinking of quite a few at the moment about 1 or 2 a day

Hosky

http://hoskshalfhour.blogspot.com/

As many as the Slag Bro's have posts.