What makes you laugh? Page 2

Right at the moment I'm into writing comic songs. They're all pretty rough, had to replace a load of material with the shift in Prime Ministers, but I'll share at some point. What are you up to currently?

:( laugh? You must be joking..

Things that are funny which is just about anything - a mill wheel out of true..

..it doesn't take much to make me laugh, I prefer simple comedy.. if something has it's head too far up it's arse, I tend to stop laughing..

cue:

Frankie - what do you consider 'head too far up it's arse' comedy? Would that be mainly stand up or sitcom do you think?

Simple and clever things make me laugh, an unusual observation or a dark remark.

At the moment, I'm trying to write topical sketches a little unsuccessfully at the moment. All the stuff I seem to write is crap but that may be due to the fact that my Dad is in hospital and stuff.
I'm also gradually piecing together a sitcom based on my experiences in industry.

Lucy:

It could be either, potentially.. Ben Elton had his head up his arse I thought when he did stand up.. but a very accomplished writer, of course..

Sitcom, can't think of one really..

I can appreciate 'clever' humour but it would tend to amuse me rather than make me laugh..

Quote: Lucy @ October 8, 2007, 10:49 PM

What is it that inspires you to write? What kind of humour do you enjoy best? How does this relate to your own style of writing?

Easy this Sarah Silverman. Shes the reason I started doing Stand Up, then writing materail and joining this site so thank or blame her. When I saw her DVD Jesus is Magic I was stunned, a little horrified but mostly inspired. Just pure brilliance for me. I'm not brave enough to go the routes she goes down but I do use buzz words like her and try to be very clever, socially aware and overall original with my comedy.

Wild - yeah, I guess you have to detatch yourself from the world to really be able to write sitcom - then again, you could be a genius and just don't appreciate your own work. What do other people think of it?

Frankie - aaah I see what you mean. I've got a couple of comedians I feel are like that and can't stand.

ajp29 - I haven't seen Silverman - but will make a point of doing so in the next couple of days. I love that feeling when you see a comedian and you're like 'YES THIS IS A GOD OF COMEDY, I LOVE THEM VERY MUCH AND WISH I WAS THEM' and there's a bit of envy, but that's all good. I admit I get a bit of that with Tim Minchin, who (Contraversial opinion here) I find better than Bill Bailey - he writes funny songs and he's a great pianist...

...bastard ;)

Quote: Wildjesusfishkid @ October 8, 2007, 11:05 PM

Count Arthur Strong at the moment.

He has made me cry several times.
(In the good way.)

I've had quite good feedback but not many takers in the form of industry money makers. I think I write funny stuff.

Wild, that's excellent. What kind of thing are you pushing at the moment?

Just general sketches.I'm trying some topical sketches but sometimes they are really bad. Other times they are good. I also write some funny news stories for a new publication.

I'm inspired by originality, doing something that isn't out there at the moment, freshening up things. I also like comedy that is drawn from situations and characters rather than one-liners.

Although, like my taste in music, I can like random things and can quite easily dislike something from my favourite comedian. I try not follow comedy like supporting a football team. I just see what works for me.

So I loved the usual: Office, Partridge, Spaced, Blackadder, Fawlty Towers, Royale Family, Green Wing, Friends

But also things that aren't as popular like: Early Doors, Nighty Night, Gavin & Stacey, Arrested Development, Family Guy

i hear voices in my head which act out scenes and generally talk to me. i just write them down while they talk.
i am inspired by mundanity. e.g. my wife said to me the other day - " i bought these mangoes from Asda - two for two pounds. i got these from the shop, 99p each. so, similar price." that made it into my latest script.

I like blue jam. I like twisted sketches mingled in with a bit music. Along with things like the League of Gentlemen and the mighty boosh. I like the unexpected nature of the sketches.

I enjoy satire and poking fun at celebs, the news, tv for the nonsense they keep belching out.

which is what I'm trying to do in my podcast - http://hoskshalfhour.blogspot.com/

Although saying that I like sienfield, blowing up normal days things and events that somehow spiral out of control. I enjoy watching the things keep getting bigger and bigger until it comes right round and bits them in the arse.

I will end with what I don't like, comedy shows where they just do impression of people. Do something original. I definitly don't like 2 pints of lager and a packet of crisps

Arrested Development, Flight of The Conchords, Harry Hill, Vic and Bob