Your favourite sitcom character and why

Thought this might be an interesting one.

My favourite sitcom character is George Castanza from Seinfeld. He is just awful. He is totally self centred and tactless, he doesn't really give a shit about anyone except possibly Jerry. He must be one of the least altruistic characters of all time.

Quote: Dale Griffiths @ October 6, 2007, 9:03 PM

My favourite sitcom character is George Castanza from Seinfeld. He is just awful. He is totally self centred and tactless, he doesn't really give a shit about anyone except possibly Jerry. He must be one of the least altruistic characters of all time.

I agree.

My favourite Sit-com character is Hancock. He never succeeded in anything. He was always on an uphill struggle.

VYVYAN!

My all time childhood hero from the Young ones!

Alan Partridge and George Castanza.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ October 6, 2007, 10:20 PM

Alan Partridge and George Castanza.

Again, I agree.

Margot Leadbetter, Manuel, CJ, Alan Partridge, (Mr Barraclough from Porridge as a good support)

I don't think I've got one all-time favourite character, but I have definately got a favourite type of character. They're the ones that could be descibed as being Eloquent Losers. A lot of people seem to like stupid losers, in the mould of Homer Simpson, or Joey Tribiani, but, as a writer, I appreciate the intelligent (or at least semi-intelligent) ones more. This is because they allow you to not only laugh at their ongoing haplessness, but also, to marvel at some amazing writing, when listening to their various rants, and, often poignant soliloquies. I'm talking about characters like Hancock, Harold Steptoe, Rigsby, Fletcher, Rick ('The Young Ones'), Cliff Claven ('Cheers'), Blackadder, Partridge and David Brent.

Hard to choose just one, so I'll randomly choose Emmet from Keeping Up Appearances. I love how he transformed himself over the 4 series by first having almost no reaction to Hyacinth -- because he didn't know her and she hadn't begun singing at him -- to then being shell shocked by her presence, and finally learning to enjoy her and taunting her, such as calling about the break-in across the street or suggesting they go horseback riding together. It is -- and I quote -- 'lovely stuff'.

Arty from the Larry Sanders Show

This is a hard question for an american character I would say Chandler from friends or George Castanza. Unlike Joey who most people love I like Chandler because his one liner shootdowns at his friends and being more real. George is great because he hasn't got any morales.

English is slightly harder for me err I would say Norman Stanley Fletcher, Basil Fawlty or Del Trotter I really can't decide.

The ones that have captured my heart are:

Can't put them in order and can't pick just one..

1. Captain Mainwaring
1. Derek Trotter
1. Harold Steptoe
1. Tony Hancock
1. Blackadder

Because they are all tragi-comic characters that I identified with and (for me) were played by totally believable performers. I saw all of these when they were first broadcast and I think that's important to point out because to a certain extent comedy is 'of it's time', and when you take them out of their time, a modern perception will alter the view (better/worse). The same applies to you as a 'viewer', you are of your time.

Frankie xxx

I'm going for someone slightly obscure...

Grimm from The Thin Blue Line

dougal from father ted.
gareth from the office.

Quote: Leevil @ October 6, 2007, 10:21 PM

Again, I agree.

What - you agree that those were their favourites?