Single location sitcoms

Can anyone add to these recent British sitcoms that have relied on a single setting?

The Royle Family, Early Doors, The Smoking Room, The Visit...

PS. Is The Visit out on DVD?

Porridge.

Didn't that include nightclubs, some quiz venue, warehouse etc?

Quote: Griff @ November 30 2009, 9:06 PM GMT

Yeah there was the occasional trip out of the Wernham Hogg office I suppose.

I meant Porridge Cool

Quote: Griff @ November 30 2009, 9:06 PM GMT

But then the Royle Family went round Denise's house, and to the hospital when Nana died and so on. Even the lads from Slade Prison escaped a couple of times.

I forgot about those. Last Christmas episode was abysmal, in my opinion though.

Quote: al_gernon @ November 30 2009, 9:07 PM GMT

I meant Porridge Cool

:D

Marion & Geoff . . .

Directed by Peter Capaldi! Can't believe I missed that show . . .

Quote: Griff @ November 30 2009, 9:14 PM GMT

What about that hospital one with Jo Brand? I never saw that but it might have just been in the ward the whole time.

Had a few office scenes. Might have been a short one in a pub too?

Was it any good? Where's the thread on here (don't know what it was called ???) . . .

Wasn't most of "Are You Being Served?" set on the shop floor?

Well there would be Ideal, and one of my all time faves Only When I Laugh. Actually, now I think about it the last episode did see them all end up in a restaurant after they had been discharged, but for the main part took place within the hospital.

Quote: Slippery Jack @ November 30 2009, 10:09 PM GMT

Was it any good? Where's the thread on here (don't know what it was called ???) . . .

Getting On. There's a thread somewhere.

Quote: Chappers @ November 30 2009, 11:17 PM GMT

Wasn't most of "Are You Being Served?" set on the shop floor?

There was also the canteen, Mr Rumbold's office, and occasionally other departments.

Erm, Dinnerladies? Didn't see enough of it to notice for sure, but they never moved out of the canteen when I did see it. Home To Roost is another where I don't remember them moving out of the living room and hall much. I faintly remember Mog to be very housebound as well. Anyway, I'm sure we're going to see more of them in the future after the BBC announed their depressing directive for more budget sitcoms.

I always think that Steptoe and Son is possibly the best example of maximising the potential of a limited location. Although some of the episodes ventured beyond the scrapyard, many of them contained filled 30 minutes with just the main location. Notably a classic, much-loved episode, The Desperate Hours, basically took place in one room.