Meeting with a TV station

Got a pitch to a station with a production company. Ridiculous question, but what does a writer wear to these things? A suit?

I've never had the pleaure of that kind of meeting. But I've never seen a comedy writer in a suit.

Oh, good luck! Wave

smart casual

Yes, smart casual. It's a creative arts pitch so be yourself and feel comfy. Shirt and jacket I'd say was fine. A suit can make some people feel too stiff and restricted so if you're one of these then don't wear one. It is a professional meeting, but these bods are in the arts - it's very common to not wear a tie now, I'm told.

Wear what you like.

It really doesn't matter what you wear.

But, obviously, don't wear a t-shirt saying 'I hate <channel name> and everything it stands for!'...

Good luck, btw!

Dan

Quote: Marc P @ November 27 2009, 8:36 AM GMT

Wear what you like.

Unless you're a naturist.

Smart casual seems to be the way to go - so you're comfortable but you've made some effort.

And yes, well done and good luck!

:)

Quote: Jane P @ November 27 2009, 9:37 AM GMT

Smart casual seems to be the way to go - so you're comfortable but you've made some effort.

And yes, well done and good luck!

:)

It honestly doesn't matter what you wear, a jeans t shirt is fine, although at this time of year you will be cold.

Whatever you are comfortable in is the way to go.

We covered this as part of my course, and according to producers and writers no one cares what the writer is wearing. :)

The important thing is to have your pitch ready, appear friendly and make eye contact.

Quote: Jane P @ November 27 2009, 9:37 AM GMT

This is where I'm going wrong. :D

Marc's right I'm sure - ignore me.

Damn this office mentality of mine. >_<

Dolly! :$

ps I like the 'appear friendly' bit - I'm not really friendly but I shall give that illusion for the duration of the meeting and hope you don't see me kicking children once I'm outside.

And eye contact!? Surely that's asking too much from a writer!?

Quote: Jane P @ November 27 2009, 9:44 AM GMT

Marc's right I'm sure - ignore me.

Damn this office mentality of mine. >_<

Dolly! :$

I still have the fashion industry mentality; McQueen or Westwood? Is my hat too last year, etc? :)

It's a business meeting, so you should wear a suit.