Writing a Sketch Pilot? Page 3

The Department (by Chris Addison, Andy Zalzman and John Oliver) is a good example of a radio sketch show disguised as a sitcom. And a very good show it was too.

I know of one Animator who was offered a TV sketch show pilot but only after proving his track record and growing a fanbase by self producing material:

https://www.comedy.co.uk/tv/sick_animation_show/

Sent out a sketch show overview to a few companies. Do you always get a response, or do they keep schtum if they hate it?

Quote: Griff @ November 12 2009, 2:09 PM GMT

It's very common not to get a reply.

Thanks. I'll send out the sitcom, then. They won't get away from me. :)

I don't think Linehan and Matthews would have got Big Train away if they had tried before becoming known for Father Ted. It's also worth noting that the executive producers were Peter Fincham (who most likely involved Chris Morris in the project), and Geoffrey Perkins who had helped massively to shape Father Ted, and had in the interim moved from Hat Trick to be head of comedy at the BBC.

Quote: Micheal Jacob @ November 12 2009, 2:41 PM GMT

I don't think Linehan and Matthews would have got Big Train away if they had tried before becoming known for Father Ted. It's also worth noting that the executive producers were Peter Fincham (who most likely involved Chris Morris in the project), and Geoffrey Perkins who had helped massively to shape Father Ted, and had in the interim moved from Hat Trick to be head of comedy at the BBC.

You're like Beetlejuice, Michael. Say your name three times and you appear!

Quote: Griff @ November 12 2009, 2:53 PM GMT

Is it time for another College of Comedy yet? Some of us have sold at least two sketches since the last one.

Nobody likes a showoff. Angry

Is it time for another College of Comedy yet? Some of us have sold at least two sketches since the last one.

I do believe the previous CoC started taking submissions in March/April, so presumably, we'll have to wait until next March for the next one.

I know this is off topic, but just to deal with the college. If there is a scheme next year, it won't follow the model of the previous two. I will be doing a long overdue blog next week since there will be some news to report.

Our first project was a sketch show. Emailed it to HTV and got a reply by phone that same day from a producer wanting to take it on. Sadly, he left the place (Luckily I mean HTV, not this mortal coil) so it never materialised. But it gave us the boost to continue.

We emailed a complete script with synopsis, treating it like a sitcom. Although we did dress it up with narrative threads.

Mr Jacob has free reign to go as off-topic as he wants. :)

He'd be entitled!

Quote: SlagA @ November 12 2009, 3:18 PM GMT

Our first project was a sketch show. Emailed it to HTV and got a reply by phone that same day from a producer wanting to take it on. Sadly, he left the place (Luckily I mean HTV, not this mortal coil) so it never materialised. But it gave us the boost to continue.

We emailed a complete script with synopsis, treating it like a sitcom. Although we did dress it up with narrative threads.

Mr Jacob has free reign to go as off-topic as he wants. :)

Is HTV still going? Come to think of it, is ITV still going?

Quote: chipolata @ November 12 2009, 3:25 PM GMT

Is HTV still going? Come to think of it, is ITV still going?

Yes, it's going...(wait for it) down the toilet! A ha ha ha!

*gets big coat and pissed off*

I mean, they haven't even got The Bill on this week. Tcha!

I remember when The Bill starred that man with a big hooked nose in.

Cyril Sneer?