Best sitcoms by decade

What do you think were/are the best sitcoms from each decade, from the 70s to today?
I know some spanned more than one decade, but just for the sake of argument say from when they first aired.

For me:

70s: Are You Being Served (by a country mile)

80s: Red Dwarf (by a country mile)

90s: Father Ted

2k+: I would probably say How Not To Live Your Life, though I've only seen the second series of this. Loved it though.

What's wrong with the 50s and 60s?

Kids today! I don't know eh?

Angry

I don't doubt your judgement but how much longer is a country mile than a normal mile?

Quote: Oldrocker @ November 10 2009, 4:07 PM GMT

What's wrong with the 50s and 60s?

Kids today! I don't know eh?

Angry

Sorry :$

I didn't even know if there were any then!

Quote: Bert Bastard @ November 10 2009, 4:08 PM GMT

I don't doubt your judgement but how much longer is a country mile than a normal mile?

They just seem like they're longer when you're in a tractor.

60s: The Likely Lads

70s: Porridge

80s: Only Fools & Horses Blackadder

90s: I'm Alan Partridge

00s: Peep Show

Oh, Peep Show, shit >_<

That's the one I meant... Whistling nnocently

60s: Steptoe and Son

70s: Fawlty Towers

80s: Blackadder

90s: Seinfeld

00s: Black Books

Quote: Leevil @ November 10 2009, 4:11 PM GMT

90s: I'm Alan Partridge

My second fave sitcom of the 90s.

Second series of Partridge wasn't as flat out genius as the first (Alan's girlfriend was a sub-par character, I thought) so I imagined by a 4th series it might've become a little tiresome. It had its share of moments of course and though it was still very good indeed and superior to a vast majority of shows, overall it was a little disappointing and a dip in quality compared to all the other Partridge related series'. The hotel series was gold of course. Seinfeld was a brilliant throughout so for me it edges out Partridge as the 90s' finest sitcom and occupies my #3 all-time slot.

I thought it was equally as good, as the first. Although the first series had a better, more solid setup.

Seinfeld is great, but I presumed we were doing British sitcoms. Pleased

Quote: Moonstone @ November 10 2009, 4:10 PM GMT

Sorry :$

I didn't even know if there were any then!

Unimpressed Philistine.

https://www.comedy.co.uk/guide/year/1969/

I'm quite impressed you have a list for 30s/40s as well. :)

Quote: Leevil @ November 10 2009, 4:11 PM GMT

80s: Only Fools & Horses Blackadder

Quote: Jackson Neil @ November 10 2009, 4:29 PM GMT

80s: Blackadder

Brilliant, but better than RD?? Surely not!

Quote: Aaron @ November 10 2009, 4:57 PM GMT

Unimpressed Philistine.

https://www.comedy.co.uk/guide/year/1969/

Well, there WERE one or two, then! :$

Quote: Moonstone @ November 10 2009, 5:01 PM GMT

Brilliant, but better than RD?? Surely not!

OF&H will have me laughing the most. I enjoy Red Dwarf lots, it's brilliant. But Blackadder is one of my most favourite characters, ever and for that. It beats them both.

Fair enough. He certainly was a brilliant character though (excluding Prince Edmund the 1st)

I've only really seen bits of the first series, I didn't really like it. But want to give it another go some time, to be sure.

The pilot I thought was actually pretty good, but in the first series the character of Blackadder was all over the place I don't think they really knew what they wanted him to be. Ben Elton did wonders for this show and helped make it the joy we remember.