Spitting Image

Isn't it about time this returned to our screens?

It could be a great starting point for new writers - just like it was way back when.

Who could forget the chicken song!

I loved Spitting Image and was sad to see it end.

I think shows like that can go on for ever whilst there are politicians and celebs who can be made fun of.

It used to scare me when I was younger, still looks a bit weird now.

I think it did come back?

But instead of dragging up old favourites, why not make something new and original, which could also be a door for new writers?

It was the quality of the production and writing team (notably John Lloyd and a young Ian Hislop) in the early days that really made it great. Plus you had Maggie, Kinnock and Reagan, all brilliant "characters" to write for (plus the soap opera of the Royal Family, which no TV satire really dares to equal thesedays). Any comeback of Spitting Image (and considering the legal battles that occurred behind the scenes over money from this show, I'd consider it unlikely) would really have to aim to live up to the show as when it first started. Otherwise it's just like any other topical sketch show, but with puppets.

Amazing to think that such a controversial and irreverent show (at least in its early years) was broadcast on ITV on a Sunday evening.

I think the sorrowful Headcases was supposed to be the new version.

I liked Spitting Image a lot, but in retrospect it could be a leedle beet crude.

Quote: sootyj @ October 31 2009, 4:03 PM BST

I liked Spitting Image a lot, but in retrospect it could be a leedle beet crude.

Of course I remember it with a big heap of nostalgia, but some of the Thatcher/Kinnock/Ronnie "Okay, Mummy" Reagan stuff was simply brilliant. Forget Bush Jr bashing, on a weekly basis Spitting Image portrayed an American President as a totally confused moron/simpleton, with an unhealthy relationship with his wife and a pet monkey, on network TV. On the non-political front, the Johnny (Gielgud) and Larry (Olivier) sketches were hilarious as well. And the Queen Mum wasn't a Northerner before Spitting Image revealed the truth. :)

It just wouldn't work, because of all the PC shit now. They'd never ever get away with something like the South African song these days.

They have released series 1-8 on DVD and look to be releasing all 18 series in due time.

I think I might have to get them.

They will have to be a part of my essential viewing collection.

THIS is how you could get Mr. Barrie back on our screens!! (In audio form anyway...)

Apparently Michael Heseltine's puppet has sold for £540, Norman Tebbit for £720 (why?) and Maggie and Dennis combo has sold for £2,160.

Someone has more money than sense.

Quote: Richard Wells @ October 31 2009, 6:28 PM GMT

I loved Spitting Image and was sad to see it end.

I cannot help but notice that Spitting Image, notorious as it was for ripping into the Government, came to a close just as it became unignorably apparent that the Labour party were about to move into Number 10.

Quote: bigfella @ October 31 2009, 1:55 PM GMT

Who could forget the chicken song!

Quote: Aaron @ December 16 2010, 2:04 PM GMT

I cannot help but notice that Spitting Image, notorious as it was for ripping into the Government, came to a close just as it became unignorably apparent that the Labour party were about to move into Number 10.

You may be right Aaron. Speaking to you for the second time this week as a wetlib (and former contributor to Spit) the sad fact is that political comedy is never quite as good under Labour governments. That's because most funny topical people are bitter old lefties (with the odd exception eg Boris, Clarkson), and slagging off Labour for them (okay, us) is a bit like doing a whoopsie in your own back yard.

Spitting Image won't be coming back but I predict that some angry lefty (as Fluck & Law were) will soon find a comedic way of nailing the bunch of ca***on c***g c***e cu*s coa****on c*n*****tive c***s (last one is chaps)

Ha ha. Well, I do hope something comes back. I think it's a massive shame for that end of satire that it's been allowed to all but die. Headcases was a valiant attempt to get back some of it, but it didn't have the charm of the puppets. I love a good joke at either side's expense, and the lack thereof is pretty disappointing.

I used to watch it and enjoy it.
But the puppets and voices were far better than the scripts IMO.
Although it had its moments.