Can you help me out with something?

Good Evening Wave

I am a newbie to all this really, I found the writing part enjoyable, but the script format bit is a bit alien to me. I have a few questions (if you don't mind)

If you have someone who is speaking, then mid conversation they do some actions or put on a funny voice, how would you put this into your script?

Would it be:

TERRY:

I like to move it!

TERRY THEN POINTS AT GILL AND SINGS

TERRY:CONT

You like to move it?

Or would you do it some other way?

I basically wrote my script out in Word, but now I realise it's not in any real format so I guess I'll have to cut and paste across to Script Smart but making changes as I go.

Thanks

CMB

Don't worry too much about formatting.

Different TV companies have historically preferred scripts to be formatted in different ways but as long as your meaning is clear, nobody is likely to complain about your formatting if you're a newbie.

Personally, I'd go:

TERRY:
I like to move it!

(HE POINTS AT GILL AND SINGS)

TERRY (CONT):
You like to move it?

but your best bet is to check out some scripts on the Internet. You'll soon find numerous examples of the various formats.

Thanks Roodeye.

Do you know of anywhere I can find a good script archive, just to see different examples so I can decide how I'd like to proceed?

Quote: Chicken Meets Basket @ October 28 2009, 10:40 PM BST

Thanks Roodeye.

Do you know of anywhere I can find a good script archive, just to see different examples so I can decide how I'd like to proceed?

There are some sample scripts for radio/TV drama and comedy on BBC Writersroom.

Quote: Badge @ October 28 2009, 10:46 PM BST

There are some sample scripts for radio/TV drama and comedy on BBC Writersroom.

:O

Quote: Chicken Meets Basket @ October 28 2009, 10:40 PM BST

Thanks Roodeye.

You can download Scriptsmart Gold (with various script templates) from here:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/writersroom/scriptsmart/SSGoldV2/SSG29.exe

I wrote my first ever script in pencil on an A4 pad, got my girlfriend to type it up at work as best she could, and I sent it off to the BBC.

They bought it.

Formatting? My arse! (as Jim Royle might say) :D

Quote: Roodeye @ October 28 2009, 11:07 PM BST

They bought it.

Literally?

Quote: Tim Walker @ October 28 2009, 11:14 PM BST

Literally?

Literally. Cool

Cheers Guys.

One last thing, if you wanted to start someone saying something normally, then with a funny voice right at the end - would the same as above apply? (I just want my script to appear easy to follow, rather than confusing the reader)

So for example - would this read okay (or would you change it?)

TIM

Thanks, yeah thank you. In fact...

(TIM WIGGLES HIS HIPS THEN BEGINS TO DO A POOR ELVIS IMPRESSION)

TIM: (CONT)

Thank you very much

That's easy to read and your intentions appear clear.

So, yes - it would work.

I'd suggest you read a few scripts and take note of how the various authors make their wishes known.

There's no universally-agreed 'best way' to set out a script but sticking as closely as possible to the way the industry's leading writers and production companies set things out is no bad thing.