Car Trouble

INT. A MAN IS DRIVING A CAR, SAT NEXT TO HIM IS HIS WIFE. THERE IS AN AWKWARD SILENCE BETWEEN THEM. SHE LOOKS FURIOUS, LOOKING STRAIGHT AHEAD, AVOIDING ANY EYE CONTACT WITH HER HUSBAND. HE GLANCES AT HER EVERY NOW AND THEN, OBVIOUSLY WANTING TO SAY SOMETHING. FINALLY HE DOES.

MAN: Well, I suppose that could have gone better.

WIFE:...

MAN:...look, you can't blame me entirely...

WIFE: (without looking at him) Oh, can't I.

MAN: The woman was quite obviously a nutter.

WIFE: She was 87 and had alzheimer's.

MAN: Yes, and I was just trying to keep her quiet, we were visiting your mother afterall.

WIFE: Oh, so when this 'nutter' asked you whether you were Alf, her dead husband, and you said yes, you assumed that would keep her quiet, did you?

MAN: How was I supposed to know she would start yelling at me for having am affair with someone called Ethel? I didn't think old people knew language like that...

WIFE: I don't know why I asked you to come along.

MAN: You said it was because you couldn't bare to spend even an hour alone with your ghastly mothe...

WIFE: And God, the dress...

MAN: Look, I didn't like it either when she kept asking me to take her dress off, she was obviously confused...

WIFE: Yes, but you didn't actually have to do it, did you?

MAN: That was just a simple misunderstanding...

WIFE: That's not what the police thought.

MAN: Look, there was no need for them to get involved.

WIFE: The carehome thought you were sexually harassing a resident.

MAN: Yes, but I quite obviously wasn't...

WIFE: You told an elderly woman with alzheimer's you were her dead husband and took her dress off in front of everyone.

MAN: I can see how that might have looked...

WIFE: Now you've got us banned from visiting my own mother for three months!

MAN: See, it's not all bad then.

EXT. WE SEE THE CAR SCREETCH TO A HALT, THE MAN AND HIS WIFE GET OUT. THE WIFE MARCHES ROUND TO THE DRIVERS SIDE, PUSHES PAST HER HUSBAND, GETS IN, SLAMS THE DOOR AND DRIVES OFF AT SPEED, LEAVING HER HUSBAND BY THE ROAD SIDE.

END

Yes, but what is it?

If it's a stand-alone sketch I don't think it's working. It reads like a portion of a larger tableaux and there doesn't seem to be a punchline as such.

As a single scene it might work, but it's hard to tell without spending some more time with the characters.

Yeah, sorry about that, I meant to say this is a small scene from a 'quick-com' idea I posted on the writers forum a few weeks ago. Basically it was a trail to see how the dialogue and relationship worked between the two characters.

I think it works as a begining point. You need to develop it further. How long are the 'quick coms' going to be? 10 minutes?