Promoting your comedy stuff

I was wondering how people on this forum promoted their comedy creations.

I have a podcast (Hosks Half Hour - http://hoskshalfhour.blogspot.com/) and have put it on directories and linked to it in all the obvious places.

I'm sure anyone else who has done something similar finds that it's damn tricky to get people to come and consume the comedy you make.

I appreciate the best way is to keep slogging away and producing better stuff.

but I was wondering how other people go about promoting their podcasts, blogs, comedy video's, scripts etc.

What effective/innovative ways have people found to send their comedy worms out there into the world, to crawl into people ears and eyes. Excluding writing on forums of course, MWAHAHAHAHAAHAA

Also has anyone get any lovely heart warming stories of people stumbling over your stuff to open a lovely opportunity up to them. No I didn't think so but I can but hope.

Post script or links in 'Critique'. :)

Hi Hoskinator.

I will try to listen to your Podcast later on when I'm back from work & a little less sober.
I must warn you though I do have the attention span of a

Just don't take the piss with the old self-promotion.

Yep _ I'm in the same boat chief. Selling tickets to my companys next play - fascinatingly expensive to co-ordinate.

Quote: chipolata @ September 8 2009, 4:53 PM BST

Just don't take the piss with the old self-promotion.

Yes - be honest and respect your audience's intelligence. They'll realise that you're just trying to promote your stuff and if you try to hide it with fake contributions or threads it'll annoy people.

Cool it down Hoskinator, please. Your recent multiple threads are transparent to your intended audience and more annoying than enticing.

Keep it to one thread, post episodes in crit, and add your link to your sig. That way people will see the link in your posts.
:)

Quote: Hoskinator @ September 8 2009, 4:36 PM BST

Has anyone get any lovely heart warming stories of people stumbling over your stuff to open a lovely opportunity up to them. No I didn't think so but I can but hope.

I put some of my voiceover movies up on YouTube which were seen by Shane Allen at C4 who then set up a meeting between me and Hat Trick, who I have a good relationship with now. So yes, it can work.

Quote: Hoskinator @ September 8 2009, 4:36 PM BST

Also has anyone get any lovely heart warming stories of people stumbling over your stuff to open a lovely opportunity up to them. No I didn't think so but I can but hope.

I slapped my sketches up on a user generated site called Constant Comedy and managed to get an agent from doing so.

If you keep putting your stuff out there eventually you'll be rewarded. People will smell your passion!!! My passion smells of strawberries, but I once smelt an egg flavoured passion. Not a nice experience...

Like my mother always said to me. 'You can't make an omelette!'

Quote: greensville @ September 9 2009, 2:23 PM BST

I slapped my sketches up on a user generated site called Constant Comedy and managed to get an agent from doing so.

If you keep putting your stuff out there eventually you'll be rewarded. People will smell your passion!!! My passion smells of strawberries, but I once smelt an egg flavoured passion. Not a nice experience...

Nice tip...

Quote: Marc P @ September 9 2009, 2:47 PM BST

Like my mother always said to me. 'You can't make an omelette!'

:)