BBC Three/Four - money well spent? Page 2

Some comedies on the digital channels don't get a big enough profile I think. One show I do like is "The Late Edition", a satire hosted by Marcus Brigstocke. There is another one called "Don't Watch That, Watch This" which I'd like to see, but I don't think it's on at the moment.

I do know however that "QI" is by far the most watch show on BBC 4.

Oh yeah I forgot about Ideal that was really good actually. The Late Edition is okay but its not very satirical really...it's still like 'oh lets laugh at chavs and make jokes about gypsies' although Brigstock likes to think he is somewhat on a higher intellectual level of humour...I'm afraid he's wrong.

Don't Watch That Watch This is pretty good too sometimes.

Yeah, Ideal is a great show. Not something to laugh out loud at, but still very entertaining, and pretty funny. :)

The real benefit these channels have is for the BBC itself. When it was just BBC 1 and 2 new comedies would have to face the crucible of hostile newspapers and ratings figures, so when a sitcom failed it was big news (Orrible actually came out during 9/11, and got worse headlines!). Nowadays the BBC can fail without anybody knowing. For example, I'm still unsure whether shows like Shirley Grossman, Grownups or that Rob Brydon panel show thing were deemed a success or failure.

Shirley Grossman I can assure you was deemed a downright failure...well by critics it was...not sure about ratings wise...but I can't imagine them being very high.

As Annually Retentive is coming back for a second series, I guess that they were quite happy with it.

Shirley Ghostman was popular enough with fans to warrant a DVD release but I doubt whether it got great viewing figures.

Unfortunately, DVD releases mean practically shit-all these days. Think of some of the utter cack that's been put out, and then some of the pure gold from 10+ years ago that hasn't. Hell, even QI wasn't going to get a release, so what does that tell you?

The release of panel shows on DVD is very different to other shows though.

Shirley Ghostman did actually receive some very good reviews as well as some poor ones anyway.

hello lads and lassie's,this is my first post ;) my names Vinny and i live in manchester,im'e an actor but not in a Bernard chumley kinda way! anybody who wants to make mates,keep in touch etc..feel free..be good to hear from ya..Vinny.

Why not re-post that in the Introductions forum, Vinny? Either way, welcome to the board. :)