Antipodean Aloha!

Well, yes. I'm Pancake, I'm Australian and I fancy British Comedy and the internet in equal measures. I find it difficult to retain adulation for any program, for longer than a month or so, thus a general comedy forum seemed just the ticket.

The first comedy program I recall seeing, and adoring, was Absolutely Fabulous. I do still adore it, and upon re-views, always puzzle as to how my mother thought it would be appropriate for a 6-year-old. Of course, I didn't understand any of the drug or sex stuff back then, which leads me to believe it's much safer to let a child watch something so far removed from appropriate content than that which teeters on the toe-line.

Watching Ab Fab so young, also led me to believe comedy was a female-dominated arena - my town plays host to a Woman's Comedy Festival annually, so this view wasn't really challenged for me until a couple of years ago.

Anyway, other British Comedies I have a big place in my heart for include The Young Ones, Blackadder, Black Books, The IT Crowd, The Mighty Boosh, Spaced, Nathan Barley, Asylum, Fawlty Towers, Absolute Power, Garth Marenghi's Darkplace, A Bit of Fry and Laurie, Nighty Night, Nevermind the Buzzcocks and, oh golly... Even if I try to remember more, I'll still end up cursing myself as soon as I realise how many I've forgotten.

I finally found the first two seasons of Jeeves and Wooster for a decent price last week, and am making my way through that. Utter delight, naturally.

I also love an awful lot of Australian comedians, yet so rarely is gold hit with the program concepts. For the time being, I am satisfied with our multitude of panel shows offering a rotating roster of the hilarious and the baffling.

I have plenty of time for American comedy and, you know, things which aren't strictly comedy, though this doesn't seem the place to elaborate on all that.
So, for now, as the ocean said to the shore Wave

Welcome - and I love Kath and Kim.

Hello Pancake!

Hi Pancake!!

Could someone tell me how to do away with that welcome notice up the top of the screen? I've tried pressing the button a few times, to no avail.

Quote: Chappers @ August 28 2009, 4:40 PM BST

Welcome - and I love Kath and Kim.

Gina Riley is the best friend of my High School drama teacher. Really.

Not that big a fan of Kath and Kim myself, though.

Welcome.

Is that the welcome message on the board front page?

Indeed.

And https://www.comedy.co.uk/forums/noshow doesn't make it go away?

Tried doing Ctrl+F5 when on the front page?

No effect on either. Ahh well, probably some dreadful setting on my computer. Only takes a quarter second to scroll past!

Hello...

Quote: Aaron @ August 28 2009, 4:59 PM BST

And https://www.comedy.co.uk/forums/noshow doesn't make it go away?

Try that link again.

Probably because her computer is upside down.

Quote: Pancake @ August 28 2009, 4:37 PM BST

I finally found the first two seasons of Jeeves and Wooster for a decent price last week, and am making my way through that.

You live in Australia? JB HiFi is currently selling the 'Complete Collection' of Jeeves & Wooster (8 discs) for $49.95. Even the ABC Shop is selling the same product for $59.95. A bit better than the old price of approximately $30 per series.

On behalf of Chip...

Hullo.

The message has gone away :) Thank you very much for your help.

Quote: Kenneth @ August 28 2009, 10:37 PM BST

You live in Australia? JB HiFi is currently selling the 'Complete Collection' of Jeeves & Wooster (8 discs) for $49.95. Even the ABC Shop is selling the same product for $59.95. A bit better than the old price of approximately $30 per series.

Are you kidding me!? Gosh darn!
Ack, when last I went into an ABC store, a fortnight ago, it was $110. Was something like $90 on JB Hi Fi Online a week before that, and I hadn't been able to find it there while in Melbourne.
I paid $40 for the first two seasons :-/ . Will probably just buy the set anyway, only $12 more than buying Series 3 and 4 individually.