North and South BCG divide Page 17

Sebastian Orange-News:

1. Unless said in legitimate context (for example, a programme or episode title), "txt spk" is strictly forbidden. This is a pet hate of the BCG's editors, and will be heavily enforced.

2. As far as is possible, correct English spelling and grammar should be used.

https://www.comedy.co.uk/info/terms_of_use/#BoardRules

Thanks.

Quote: Marc P @ August 24 2009, 11:40 PM BST

Yes as in not Liverpool. Was it not clear? Rolling eyes

:D

So who was it meant to be talking? Someone from Liverpool? I've never heard a Liverpool person say "T'dinner".

Quote: Dolly Dagger @ August 24 2009, 10:44 PM BST

To me that is nothing like Carla Lane. That sort of humour dealing with the mundane (which I personally love) is more like (or even owes something to) Victoria Wood or Alan Bennet.

Urgh, three of my least favourite writers, possibly because their styles are so similar.

It was always my hope that in Butterflies, Geoffrey Palmer would freak out and murder his own family with a shovel, especially his cheating bitch of a wife and that one with the dodgy perm, he bugged the shit out of me.

Laughing out loudLaughing out loud That would have been awesome.

Speaking of Victoria Wood, why do so many female English comedians feel the need to sing? These days you only seem to hear them on the radio, but there's still quite a few about.

Quote: catskillz @ August 25 2009, 12:18 AM BST

So who was it meant to be talking? Someone from Liverpool? I've never heard a Liverpool person say "T'dinner".

I have only been to Liverpool once but there were a lot of people from Manchester wandering about moaning about things.

Quote: Marc P @ August 25 2009, 8:09 AM BST

I have only been to Liverpool once but there were a lot of people from Manchester wandering about moaning about things.

In truth it is the total opposite. Hardly ever do people from Manchester go to Liverpool. I must admit I am from Manchester and I have gone to Liverpool quite a bit but only cos I went to uni there, however the Trafford Centre is full of people from Liverpool moaning about 'manc prices'.

Edited by Aaron.

I'm in Shropshire, the middle of the country. I neither feel Northern or Southern.

Quote: chipolata @ August 25 2009, 10:14 AM BST

I'm in Shropshire, the middle of the country. I neither feel Northern or Southern.

Give it time, the northerns or the southerns tend to lump you in one area of the country or the other...

Quote: Paul W @ August 25 2009, 10:34 AM BST

Give it time, the northerns or the southerns tend to lump you in one area of the country or the other...

I'm the dictionary definition of unlumpable!

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ August 25 2009, 12:54 AM BST

Urgh, three of my least favourite writers, possibly because their styles are so similar.

They are not similar! That was the point I was making.

Quote: catskillz @ August 25 2009, 1:46 AM BST

Speaking of Victoria Wood, why do so many female English comedians feel the need to sing? These days you only seem to hear them on the radio, but there's still quite a few about.

I dunno, there's quite a few male comedians who do that too; Justin Edwards, Rob Deering, the Boosh, We Are Klang, etc.

Sorry Dolly, as far as I'm concerned they churn out facisimle copies of the same twee, middle class, curtain twitching nonsense, invaribaly with most of their observations about seeing their neighbour buying something at the shops. 'That Mrs. Granby-Smythe from next door, blah, blah, blah, who does she think she's fooling, blah, blah, blah, mutton dressed as lamb, blah, blah, blah, I'm so bored I might have an affair, etc.' Zzzzzzz

If you'd said that Sharon Horgan, Peter Kay and The Mighty Boosh had differing styles, then I would agree with you, because their writing styles are...er, different.

I think we'll have to agree that I'm right and you're wrong to disagree. ;)

I don't think Caroline Aherne and Craig Cash's characters can be described as middle-class.

Does anyone else think Carla Lane, Aherne and Cash and Alan Bennet write the same sort of material?

As I see it the latter write about the big things using the mundane whilst the former writes about the mundane using the abstract. And Carla Lane's just not funny of course. :)

Quote: Sebastian Orange-News @ August 25 2009, 9:47 AM BST

In truth it is the total opposite. Hardly ever do people from Manchester go to Liverpool. I must admit I am from Manchester and I have gone to Liverpool quite a bit but only cos I went to uni there, however the Trafford Centre is full of people from Liverpool moaning about 'manc prices'.

Edited by Aaron.

Sometimes I wonder about living in the north, considering the cheap prices and all. But I think they'd revere me as some kind of God up there, with my technology and clothes and things.

Quote: Dolly Dagger @ August 25 2009, 12:35 PM BST

I don't think Caroline Aherne and Craig Cash's characters can be described as middle-class.

Does anyone else think Carla Lane, Aherne and Cash and Alan Bennet write the same sort of material?

Although it makes me feel strangely violated, I agree with Dolly. I don't think of those three writers as writing the same sort of material.