North and South BCG divide Page 16

Quote: Sebastian Orange-News @ August 24 2009, 10:40 PM BST

Nana is talking about the woman whose hubsand hsad just died. She said the husband used to folow her around the shop taking stuf out of her trolley. She says 'he wouldn't let her have jaffa cakes only rich tea.' and then she says 'she'll have jaffa cakes now'. Okay I don't expect you all to get it but someone has to admit it was not only carla lanesque but also genius writng.

To me that is nothing like Carla Lane. That sort of humour dealing with the mundane (which I personally love) is more like (or even owes something to) Victoria Wood or Alan Bennet. Carla Lane would have done it with whimsy and metaphor, The Royle Family does it with naturalism.

Quote: Dolly Dagger @ August 24 2009, 10:44 PM BST

To me that is nothing like Carla Lane. That sort of humour dealing with the mundane (which I personally love) is more like (or even owes something to) Victoria Wood or Alan Bennet. Carla Lane would have done it with whimsy and metaphor, The Royle Family does it with naturalism.

Here here! Alan Benett I was wandering who I was thinking of.

Quote: Dolly Dagger @ August 24 2009, 10:44 PM BST

Yes I agree that carla lane would have done it differently however you've got to admit that the idea of including this type of poetic stuff in sitcom which isn't necesarily laugh out loud is something that carla lane and the royle family have in common. Though in saying thatthe royle family does use metaphor it's just more cleverly disguised.

Quote: Sebastian Orange-News @ August 24 2009, 10:53 PM BST

Yes I agree that carla lane would it differently however you've got to admit that the idea of including this type of poetic stuff in sitcom which isn't necesarily laugh out loud is something that carla lane and the royle family have in common.

No.

And please look up what poetry is.

Angry

Yes I agree that carla lane would have done it differently however you've got to admit that the idea of including this type of poetic stuff in sitcom which isn't necesarily laugh out loud is something that carla lane and the royle family have in common. Though in saying thatthe royle family does use metaphor it's just more cleverly disguised.

And Steptoe, One foot in the Grave, so what?

It's a technique.

Yes I agree that carla lane would it differently however you've got to admit that the idea of including this type of poetic stuff in sitcom which isn't necesarily laugh out loud is something that carla lane and the royle family have in common.

That's not an example of "poetic stuff" though. It's a bit of dialogue mirroring the absurdities of natural speech. It's not a joke in the traditional sense, but it is funny piece of dialogue.

Quote: Sebastian Orange-News @ August 24 2009, 10:40 PM BST

honeslty it isn't and there is nothing wrong with being prentious as long as you're good at it. There are millions of examples of this self indulgent poetry in the royle family there is brilliant line in sunday dinner ep where Nana is talking about the woman whose hubsand hsad just died. She said the husband used to folow her around the shop taking stuf out of her trolley. She says 'he wouldn't let her have jaffa cakes only rich tea.' and then she says 'she'll have jaffa cakes now'. Okay I don't expect you all to get it but someone has to admit it was not only carla lanesque but also genius writng.

Perhaps you could do homage to Carla Lane and her poetry by grasping the English language a little firmer? Unimpressed

Quote: Dolly Dagger @ August 24 2009, 10:56 PM BST

That's not an example of "poetic stuff" though. It's a bit of dialogue mirroring the absurdities of natural speech. It's not a joke in the traditional sense, but it is funny piece of dialogue.

It is poetic to me. I quite heavily into poetry and admittedly I read far too much into things but to me it is poetic because it's saying that the husband dying means that this woman is given freedom (which is represented by her being able to buy jaffa cakes) - so in a way the husband dying is a good thing.

Quote: Aaron @ August 24 2009, 11:11 PM BST

Perhaps you could do homage to Carla Lane and her poetry by grasping the English language a little firmer? Unimpressed

me and carla are more about substance than style

Quote: Sebastian Orange-News @ August 24 2009, 11:14 PM BST

...(which is represented by her being able to buy jaffa cakes) - so in a way the husband dying is a good thing.

Well it certainly is for McVitie's.

me and carla are more about substance than style

Quite.

It is poetic to me. I quite heavily into poetry

Alright, enuff luv [sic] about Carla which poets do you like?
>

tim cunnignham, smon amritage, tim wells, connie beasley, ian duig, neil rollinsons are my partiuclar favourites- I have a feeling these are about to be slagged off. though in general I am more into specific poems as I find most collections have about five great poems and then forty odd pages of technically sound filler.

Quote: Sebastian Orange-News @ August 24 2009, 11:25 PM BST

in general I am more into specific poems as I find most collections have about five great poems and then forty odd pages of technically sound filler.

I know what you mean, but this is a general problem with the whole can of worms. I for one like a meal of a main course, I don't usually go for pudding either; so a whole meal of starters isn't necessarily, mixing my metaphors, my cup of tea literature wise.

Quote: Marc P @ August 24 2009, 10:43 PM BST

Yeah they were so influenced by the Liver Birds. Come on they are working class and Nothern.

Ey up Pet
Is T'dinner on yet
Nay love
Not yet
We're liverpool you know
Not Solihul.

Who's that meant to be talking? Solihull? That's in the midlands isn't it?

Quote: Marc P @ August 24 2009, 11:36 PM BST

I know what you mean, but this is a general problem with the whole can of worms. I for one like a meal of a main course, I don't usually go for pudding either; so a whole meal of starters isn't necessarily, mixing my nmtaphors, my cup of tea literature wise.

for the first time in this thread I don't have a reply

Quote: catskillz @ August 24 2009, 11:37 PM BST

Who's that meant to be talking? Solihull? That's in the midlands isn't it?

Yes as in not Liverpool. Was it not clear? Rolling eyes

Quote: Sebastian Orange-News @ August 24 2009, 11:38 PM BST

for the first time in this thread I don't have a reply

:D