Bill Hicks Page 2

Quote: ablurga @ December 17, 2006, 10:57 PM

I loved him when he was around at the time but he's a bit like Peter Cook now in that every single bit of material's been mined to death.

Just before he died he was working on a show called Counts of the Netherworld for C4 which was going to be pretty much a debating salon with all kinds of leftfield guests like Noam Chomsky.

It's interesting to imagine how he would've developed, I think it would've been in a very innovative direction though he'd probably explode with righteous indignation if he were around in these troubled times.

They actually made a few of those Counts of the Netherworld which you can find if you look hard enough. An absolutely shocking programme. Awful, well certainly the bits that I saw. And I'm a fan of his. It was said that he thought stand up was an end unto itself and that he didn't do it just to get his own sitcom, but that's not true. He'd wanted his own show for a long time and tried his best to make it happen but for one reason or another, (drink, drugs, attitude, quality) he wasn't picked up. Which I'm relieved about, because as a stand up he was untouchable, he didn't need to do anything else.

For me he is second only to Richard Pryor in the stand up stakes. I don't think he would have been huge but with the internet he would certainly have been more well known than he was. The same kind of people run the networks now that did then so he would probably be going through a lot of the same shit now, ie; getting elbowed from Letterman at the last minute. He probably would have done some great specials on HBO though.

Some of the Guys routines were majestic. I'm thinking of the 'wiping entire civilisations off my chest with a grey gym sock' routine, or pretty much anything from 'Rant in e minor'.

John Lahr put it best, "he was the best kind of comedian, he was essential'.

'The door is ajar.'

I think Bill Hicks did some fantastic gigs in his time and his material does remain relevant today which is a great achievement.

When I tried stand up a few years ago I thought I'd try a base my stuff on Hicks because I liked ranting. Only afterwards did I realise that he's easy to copy but impossible to better.

Quote: Leevil @ February 13, 2007, 10:51 PM

I'm scared to say this... but I'm not a fan. I wanted to watch him for a long time, but when I finally did, I barely raised a smile.

I like "preachy" stand ups, comics with balls, but with Hicks, I don't know? Maybe it was the fact he worked stuff into the ground. Obsessed with JFK (boo me boo! yes I can hear you all).

I was just sat there thinking, "lighten up man". lol (boo me!)

:O :O :O

Disgraceting Leevil. Go stand in the corner! :)
Bill Hicks is THE Comedy God.
I love him.

Meh! He does nothing for me. He could at least try to in twine some humor into his drunken ramblings, like Jim Davidson does. ;)

It was nice knowing you Leevil, i'll bring some sandwhiches to the funeral.

haha! I will bring some cookies. The friend who has his name lent me his Ipod with complete Bill Hicks on it to cheer me up at school-and I was listening to it in tutorial and wasnt told off cos my tutor wanted to listen too!

See Lee.
See how cool SBF is. Seeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!
No sense of humour from Mr Hicks. How diddly dare you.
Stay in that corner, dont you move EVER!
Blasphemy. BlasPHEMY!!!!!

I will not have it you hear.
*Gets out her sons samuri sword & swings it about*
*Husband takes Charley to hospital*

Quote: Scatterbrained Floozy @ September 5, 2007, 4:53 PM

haha! I will bring some cookies. The friend who has his name lent me his Ipod with complete Bill Hicks on it to cheer me up at school-and I was listening to it in tutorial and wasnt told off cos my tutor wanted to listen too!

Yeah, but I watch Spin City at work. I win! \o/

Quote: Charley @ September 5, 2007, 6:00 PM

See Lee.
See how cool SBF is. Seeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!
No sense of humour from Mr Hicks. How diddly dare you.
Stay in that corner, dont you move EVER!
Blasphemy. BlasPHEMY!!!!!

I will not have it you hear.
*Gets out her sons samuri sword & swings it about*
*Husband takes Charley to hospital*

Who ??????

Never heard of him. If he's a yank then he can't be funny.

Quote: David Chapman @ September 5, 2007, 11:29 PM

Who ??????

Never heard of him. If he's a yank then he can't be funny.

C*** Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry

:D

There are plenty of funny Yanks, and ... ... ... Bill Hicks is one of them!

Good on you Frankie. You are welcome for tea and jam around mine anytime. *Tips hat*

Quote: Charley @ September 6, 2007, 2:45 PM

*Tips hat*

Oi! Stop nickin' my mannerisms!

I think she meant something that sounded like hat.