Funniest British films? Page 2

Quote: Aaron @ August 29, 2007, 3:02 PM

Harsh judgement there Dave. Do you like many comedies at all?

I like loads of comedy films - but the British are best at sitcoms more than the film format, I find. My favourite comedy films are Gone Fishin' with Joe Pecsi and Danny Glover, The Man Who Knew Too Little with Bill Murry, Dumb and Dumber with Jim Carrey and Jeff Daniels - and there's more.

I've said before why I don't like Wanda, and Four Weddings is the same - swearing all the way through. Even the very first word is the F word! Life of Brian is feature-length blasphemy. I don't like Richard Griffiths being homosexual in Withnail and I - it's not funny, in my book - and Bridget Jones is just rescycled from others things: The Vicar and Tarts party is just a below par, Copyright rip-off of the Batman and Robin scenes in Only Fools (Sullivan go the idea from a vicar and tarts party).

Yikes.

You must get offended A LOT.

Not offended as such, it's just that the F word or what have you is a way of knowing that whatever film it is isn't going to be my cup of tea.

Talking American comedy films I say South Park the movie and The Big Lebowski are my favourites.

I love Peep Show but Magicians weren't up to par.

Quote: Dave @ August 29, 2007, 4:20 PM

Life of Brian is feature-length blasphemy.

I can't let this one go. It's one thing to say that Life of Brian isn't funny, but to say that is blasphemous is absurd! Blasphemy is defamation of the name of God. At no point in Life of Brian is God defamed. Jesus appears in the film and is played absoulutely straight - he recites the Sermon on the Mount and genuinely heals a leper. The Python's didn't make a film about the ridiculousness of God, but about the ridiculousness of blind faith. It mocks religion, but that is not the same as mocking God Himself. If anything Life of Brian is a heresy, that is it holds on opinion that is different or in opposition to the doctrine of the Christian Church.

I don't want to cause an argument or anything like that, but to me faith and religion aren't exactly worlds apart.

bleh.

I can't express what I wanted to say.
So I edited it all out!
hah.

Meh.

God looks a lot like David Tennant you know...
He even has the suit.

haha youre on about David Tennant on EVERY thread!

Dave is not the first religous person to hold that view about 'Life of Brian'.

I would say that Dave is wrong and that God surely laughed long and heartily at 'Life of Brian'..

My mind is blank, as to which film I would award this title.

Fierce Creatures (John, if you're reading this, cash it out in fives).

Quote: Frankie Rage @ August 31, 2007, 6:44 PM

Dave is not the first religous person to hold that view about 'Life of Brian'.

I would say that Dave is wrong and that God surely laughed long and heartily at 'Life of Brian'..

I would say that people who believe that LoB is blasphemy either haven't watched the film properly, or don't understand what blasphemy actually is. If there is one thing that LoB isn't, it's blasphemous.

Quote: Dave @ August 31, 2007, 12:18 PM

I don't want to cause an argument or anything like that, but to me faith and religion aren't exactly worlds apart.

You're absolutely right, faith and religion aren't worlds apart. But there is a world of difference between making fun of God and making fun of religion.