Racism in Comedy Page 4

Quote: RubyMae - Glamourous Snowdrop at Large @ July 18 2009, 12:06 AM BST

Is she gay? Don't tell Danny, it will break him!

No, neither am I.

Quote: RubyMae - Glamourous Snowdrop at Large @ July 17 2009, 10:24 PM BST

Feeling a bit drawn to Tim tonight, hun? Smarmy

Me too, think it must be the new avatar
;)

Quote: Tim Walker @ July 17 2009, 11:21 PM BST

Lovey

I've heard about internet men like you. Bet you want me to come round so you can tie me up, kill me and start eating my penis? Then chop me up and put me in the freezer for 6 months, until you've finally finished the penis and want some balls.

Don't you?

I bet you do.

You do, don't you? That's what you'd like. Isn't it?

Yeah? Am I right?

Wave

You know me s well. :$

Quote: AngieBaby @ July 17 2009, 11:58 PM BST

Comedy has always served to break down barriers and give us an insight into other cultures, beliefs and life-style choices.

Years ago, Black comics were given air-time, and we wanted more. Recently Iranian comics like Omid Djalili and Kayvan Novak have made me want to visit Iran. Lucy Porter makes me want to learn more about lesbianism, but don't tell my husband.

Whilst I am aware that certain demographics are under-represented. I'm worried that political correctness will scare us off sharing these experiences and learning from others, and I think it would make the world a duller place.

Very well put. :)

I remember Lenny Henry doing an impression of Trevor MacDonald at his news desk and a 'jungle' set behind him.

:D

(But true. I think it was for some innocent reason though. Just saying something like blacks all live in the jungle, or, you know, whatever.)

Don't be silly, Tim. Brixton's not a jungle!

True, true. White people live there now.

I watched Dirty Harry a few weeks ago and this bit of dialogue made me laugh:

Gonzales: There is one question, Inspector Callahan: Why do they call you "Dirty Harry"?

De Georgio: Ah that's one thing about our Harry, doesn't play any favourites! Harry hates everybody: Limeys, Micks, Hebes, Fat Dagos, Niggers, Honkies, Chinks, you name it.

Gonzales: How does he feel about Mexicans?

De Georgio: Ask him.

Harry Callahan: Especially Spics.

I suppose for me it's all about intent not content. I'm no fan of the Burqa, but the only comics you hear talking about it are Muslim proBurqa comics. I watched the excelent John Adams the other day and it was full of fulmintating on slavery. But historically it was a bit of a dead issue at the time. You should have the freedom to perform what you want; but one hopes the good sense not to produce or be amused by stuff that's needlessly offensive.
Comedy should be challenging and controversial and in a free society you should expect to be offended some of the time. But people also have a right not to be humiliated or insulted needlessly.

The line between the 2 is a line drawn not in sand but in custard.

Mmmmnn... racism custard.

Quote: Tim Walker @ July 18 2009, 11:52 AM BST

Mmmmnn... racism custard.

What Nick Griffin makes when he reads about Eva Braun pooing on Adolf.

I remember seeing a comedian on one of those endless Paramount Channel stand up shows and he pretty much hit the nail on the head.

He came out on stage and his first words were - 'Do you hate Americans?'

And like sheep, the middle class English crowd all burst into applause and made whooping noises of approval.

His next question was - 'Do you hate African Americans?'

The audience went quiet, realising they'd been shown up as a bunch of idiots.

Was that Brendon Burns?

Absolutely I can't bear smug antiAmerican racism and pseudo antisemitic anti Zionism. There's no unacceptable targets, just poor jokes and comedians.

Quote: Leevil @ July 18 2009, 1:23 PM BST

Was that Brendon Burns?

I can't remember, I was a bit drunk at the time (well, I am from an Irish background what do you expect?).

Just to keep this 'love in' of intelligent debate, racial tolerance and enlightend thinking on the right track - Indians, are they the new Jews? Discuss.