Doors - Sci-fi radio sitcom idea Page 2

Call me a pederast but I prefer it when names roll off the tongue, rather than "flow" off the tongue.

ps. When I said this idea had been done before, I was joking; you cupid stunts.

Quote: Ian Wolf @ May 22 2009, 5:39 PM BST

I don't think I could make the reference too deliberate. Also, as I have Shinji Sasahara, two characters with alliterative names might be taking it too far.

Yes, you're right! Leave well alone. :)

I've now written a more detailed plot for a pilot episode.

Beginning

The episode begins with Rebecca in her office at a university. She talks to several work colleagues which helps to set up her own world, such as the metal differences, the fact nearly everyone works and lives underground and so on. Rebecca goes to the surface to study some of the plant life and goes into field where she finds a strange wooden door, standing upright, on its own and not leading anywhere.

Rebecca goes to examine the door and upon opening it discovers The Corridor, but she does not know what it is at first. She does not understand it at first, for when she examines the door from the other side, it looks perfectly normal. Rebecca then decides to examine what is beyond the door.

Middle

Rebecca examines The Corridor. The doors and passageways seem to go on forever. She opens some of the other doors and finds a whole range of other dimensions. One such dimension leads to an underwater world which causes her to flood part of The Corridor. She manages to shut the door, but the resulting wet floor results in her chance encounter with Sir Rover, who slips up on the floor while running.

Sir Rover is first suspicious of Rebecca but then begins to trust her when he learns she has nothing to do with his dimension. He explains he was running away from someone who he thought might have been after him. Sir Rover explains to Rebecca where she is and decides to help her by sending her to see Shinji.

Rebecca and Sir Rover meet Shinji. Rebecca is first taken aback by Shinji's appearance and behaviour but soon becomes used to it. Shinji explains everything about The Corridor, the doors and his role in it. He invites Rebecca to help him, but she is hesitant because of her life back home. Shinji understands, so instead he offers her some female company, in the form of Dominique.

End

Dominique is busy doing her work as a spy in her own dimension by trying to extract information from a suspect. She plans to begin to torture her victim when Shinji contacts her using a special inter-dimensional telephone. Dominique gags her victim while she takes the call.

While at first she is hesitant, Dominique changes her mind when she learns of the peculiarities of Rebecca's dimension. Dominique agrees to talk to her over the phone. After they finish talking, Dominique goes back to her work and Rebecca decides to return home in order to prepare for the arrival of Sir Rover, Shinji and Dominique to her world.

What sort of humour will it be and where will it come from?

The humour will come mainly from the characters and the situation. Once I start to write it I'll probably post scenes on the thread.

I've begun writing the pilot script. I've written 11 pages so far, in the BBC Scene Style. It's starts off a bit slowly for the first few pages, but from about page 4 onwards I think it gets better. Ironically, in this section, Rebecca is the only character that appears.