Opinions Please! Page 3

Quote: Dolly Dagger @ May 19 2009, 3:57 PM BST

Yeah, it's an idea for four onions, a red onion, a Spanish Onion, a shallot and a pickled onion, to call each other names on a stage until the audience cries or something...

It has appeal.

Quote: Marc P @ May 19 2009, 4:34 PM BST

It has appeal.

It would be a mulit-layered show and a real tear-jerker.

Quote: Bad dog @ May 19 2009, 4:16 PM BST

YES! So, it's not just me. I always said Bussell knows his onions.

I don't know about that but I do know that if you're peeling an onion whilst chewing gum you don't cry.

When the 'message' is important, but people are likely to be offended, one way around it is to use characters which aren't identifiable as any particular race or creed. For instance, in the classic Star Trek "Let That Be Your Last Battlefield", race-hate and conflict is examined by having one alien character with a black and white face, and the other with the colours reversed. It's very effective, and no-one gets a fatwa.

What is this 'message'???

The message is: prejudice is bad, man.

Every day before work, I walk round to my black neighbour's house, and we sing "Ebony and Ivory" together.

It's our little way of saying: we're not going to let the racist bastards grind us down.

Quote: don rushmore @ May 19 2009, 6:12 PM BST

The message is: prejudice is bad, man.

Every day before work, I walk round to my black neighbour's house, and we sing "Ebony and Ivory" together.

It's our little way of saying: we're not going to let the racist bastards grind us down.

You're not serious are you? And you don't have a restraining order yet?

To be fair Darren just said taking the piss out of each other, they may take the piss out of each other for other reasons regardless of ethnic background.

So glad I read all this before I finished editing my sitcom, will now have to take out the 3 women, don't want to be accused of being sexist. Take out the in the closet gay guy too before I'm accused of being sexually intolerant. Now I'm left with a man and a dog.

Bollocks, damn those animal rights activists!
Is there a chance of having a sitcom made about one man talking to himself?

The original idea ignored people with different sexual orientations and also the disabled.

If the whole premise is to put people from different backgrounds together to create comedy through micky taking (a very thin line between comedy and conflict in this case) it is already being done each summer in the Big Brother house.

Quote: BeefyStu @ May 20 2009, 7:50 AM BST

create comedy through micky taking (a very thin line between comedy and conflict in this case) it is already being done each summer in the Big Brother house.

And in my family for years. :)

This is exactly why I got quite excited about the idea beacuse of the contreversy it could possibly cause. If it can cause it on an internet forum imagine what it could do in a theatre room?

The message at this stage would be that as a community, no matter what has been said and done before, we can come together and create something great, in this case comedy. It can also relay the message that we are all, even if we don't want to be, stereotyped and we should try to throw off those stereotypes.

A rough and ready version of the breakfast club. :D :D

Quote: Darren Pomroy @ May 20 2009, 11:06 AM BST

This is exactly why I got quite excited about the idea beacuse of the contreversy it could possibly cause. If it can cause it on an internet forum imagine what it could do in a theatre room?

The message at this stage would be that as a community, no matter what has been said and done before, we can come together and create something great, in this case comedy. It can also relay the message that we are all, even if we don't want to be, stereotyped and we should try to throw off those stereotypes.

A rough and ready version of the breakfast club. :D :D

Hmmmm. No.

I really wouldn't read too much into that; did you see how many posts there were about what colour ones wee is the other day? :)

Quote: Yacob Wingnut @ May 20 2009, 11:10 AM BST

Hmmmm. No.

Like I said it need's work!

Quote: Dolly Dagger @ May 20 2009, 11:11 AM BST

I really wouldn't read too much into that; did you see how many posts there were about what colour ones wee is the other day? :)

Yeah I know I know but everyone I tell it to now seems to have an opinion and so forth, I am just thinking f**k it why not?

A stage show? So it would be a play or improv or what?

Sounds a bit muddled to me, mate.