Creativity and Mental Illness

This is quite interesting for the writer-types around here: http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/health-and-wellbeing/features/creative-minds-the-links-between-mental-illness-and-creativity-1678929.html

For what it's worth, I reckon the majority of us have some sort of depression-related illness minimum, though my personal view is that we're all on scales of different 'affectations' -- ie we're all somewhere along the scale of manic-depression, obsessive-compulsiveness, synaesthesia, rather that being manic-depressive or not. I don't think it's so black and white.

For what it's worth, I'm pretty sure I'm mildly manic-depressive/bipolar. Often having those manic days and, more frequently, depressed days for no particularly reason.

I know there are at least a couple of Asperger's sufferers that read around here too.

Wondered what other people's thoughts were.

It will allow me to wallow in self-pity and over-analyse, if nothing else... ;)

Dan

Quote: swerytd @ May 7 2009, 12:43 PM BST

This is quite interesting for the writer-types around here: http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/health-and-wellbeing/features/creative-minds-the-links-between-mental-illness-and-creativity-1678929.html

For what it's worth, I reckon the majority of us have some sort of depression-related illness minimum, though my personal view is that we're all on scales of different 'affectations' -- ie we're all somewhere along the scale of manic-depression, obsessive-compulsiveness, synaesthesia, rather that being manic-depressive or not. I don't think it's so black and white.

For what it's worth, I'm pretty sure I'm mildly manic-depressive/bipolar. Often having those manic days and, more frequently, depressed days for no particularly reason.

I know there are at least a couple of Asperger's sufferers that read around here too.

Wondered what other people's thoughts were.

It will allow me to wallow in self-pity and over-analyse, if nothing else... ;)

Dan

I think it's something of a cliche to suggest writers have mental illnesses. I'm not saying a lot don't have problems, but to link it to creativity seems lazy and unimaginative. I'm sure there are lots of perfectly normal non-loopy writers out there.

Loved this bit:

It's no joke: Comedians and depression

Heard the one about the man who went to the doctor to get help for his depression? He's told to go and see a show with a well known comedian who would make him laugh and lift his spirits. "But that's me," says the patient. "I'm the comedian."

Laughing out loud

The word is that all creative people have some form of mental illness affixation. Not just writers. Painters, musicians, comedians, actors, etc.

Quote: Mikey Jackson @ May 7 2009, 12:59 PM BST

The word is that all creative people have some form of mental illness affixation. Not just writers. Painters, musicians, comedians, actors, etc.

What word? I'm sure we could find hundreds, thousands probably, of people without any mental condition.

Quote: Morrace @ May 7 2009, 12:58 PM BST

Loved this bit:

It's no joke: Comedians and depression

Heard the one about the man who went to the doctor to get help for his depression? He's told to go and see a show with a well known comedian who would make him laugh and lift his spirits. "But that's me," says the patient. "I'm the comedian."

Laughing out loud

That's the old Pagliaci joke. Alan Moore used it in Watchmen:

"Man goes to doctor. Says he's depressed. Says Life is harsh and cruel. Says he feels all alone in a threatening world. Doctor says "Treatment is simple. The Great Clown Pagliacci is in town tonight. Go see him. That should pick you up." Man bursts into tears. Says, "But doctor... I am Pagliaci." "

Quote: chipolata @ May 7 2009, 1:01 PM BST

What word? I'm sure we could find hundreds, thousands probably, of people without any mental condition.

I think everyone has some sort of mental condition, if you look at the definitions.

Quote: Dolly Dagger @ May 7 2009, 1:06 PM BST

I think everyone has some sort of mental condition, if you look at the definitions.

That's because nowadays everything is diagnosed as a mental illness. Bad with people = Aspergers Syndrome. A bit down = depressed. Badly behaved annoying twat-kid = ADHD...etc etc.

Quote: chipolata @ May 7 2009, 1:09 PM BST

That's because nowadays everything is diagnosed as a mental illness. Bad with people = Aspergers Syndrome. A bit down = depressed. Badly behaved annoying twat-kid = ADHD...etc etc.

Alright, alright, no need to go psycho! :P

I think in most cases it's not so much that a lot of writers have mental problems (of varying levels) as much as the very nature of being a writer brings these elements out.

I'm thinking...

a) spending so much of your life in your own head turning character profiles, stories and lines of dialogue over and over

b) stressing over what's funny and what's not til nothing makes sense anymore

c) forever editing and re-editing your work in the aim of finding the elusive 'final draft'

d) spending months/years/decades living with a project only to have it turned down and become useless

...can't be too good for the average psyche. I know it's not good for mine. That's why I do other things like draw and stuff.

Quote: glaikit @ May 7 2009, 1:21 PM BST

I think in most cases it's not so much that a lot of writers have mental problems (of varying levels) as much as the very nature of being a writer brings these elements out.

I'm thinking...

a) spending so much of your life in your own head turning character profiles, stories and lines of dialogue over and over

b) stressing over what's funny and what's not til nothing makes sense anymore

c) forever editing and re-editing your work in the aim of finding the elusive 'final draft'

d) spending months/years/decades living with a project only to have it turned down and become useless

...can't be too good for the average psyche. I know it's not good for mine. That's why I do other things like draw and stuff.

Yes, but lots of people have jobs with aspects that doesn't do them any good. Whether it be answering the phone until "Hello, how may I help you?" stops making sense, or stirring gravy in a big kitchen for fourteen hours a day.

Quote: chipolata @ May 7 2009, 1:25 PM BST

Yes, but lots of people have jobs with aspects that doesn't do them any good. Whether it be answering the phone until "Hello, how may I help you?" stops making sense, or stirring gravy in a big kitchen for fourteen hours a day.

Fair point, but I worked in retail for 6 years saying "hello, may I help you?" a million times a day, but I could always switch it off when I got home. Writing has never gone away. It is always there, buzzing around in my head.

There will be jobs similar to this, but at least they get paid for it. I am yet to be paid anything for 10 years of writing-induced stress!

Quote: glaikit @ May 7 2009, 1:30 PM BST

Fair point, but I worked in retail for 6 years saying "hello, may I help you?" a million times a day, but I could always switch it off when I got home. Writing has never gone away. It is always there, buzzing around in my head.

Get an Xbox.

Quote: jdubya @ May 7 2009, 1:52 PM BST

Get an Xbox.

Ha ha ha. :D

Funnily enough - it's my birthday next week and guess what I'm buying myself? I was right ahead of you.

The whole creativity/mental illness thing is such an old debate.

There are plenty of mentally ill people with absolutely no interest/ability in the performing arts fields at all, but it isn't seen as a particular virtue with them, is it? A bi-polar dentist isn't a terribly romantic notion, neither is a manic-depressive postman especially interesting.