Nightingales Page 2

Nobody here but us chickens.

I haven't seen it since it was first on. Threlfal was insanely good in this. I remember he had his stone cladding put on the inside of his house so he could admire it. He used to wear little pointed-toe boots.

I pinched a line from this and used it for years when people asked me what I did for living. "I'm a relief skipper on a herring trawler."

Quote: James Cotter @ April 21 2009, 5:30 PM BST

Paul Makin who also wrote 7 episodes of Goodnight Sweetheart.

They should remake this and call it 'Goodnight Sweet Tits'.

The first series of Nightingales was in production when I went to work at Alomo, and we all felt it was something particularly special. Paul Makin, who sadly died last year too young, was a genuinely original voice, who turned out to be too original to be commissioned in later years. He co-wrote a show with his friend Geoff Rowley about ballroom dancing called Taking the Floor, and his last broadcast series was called Grownups, which was about a group of friends from university stalled in later life.

Quote: Micheal Jacob @ April 22 2009, 9:31 AM BST

Paul Makin, who sadly died last year too young, was a genuinely original voice, who turned out to be too original to be commissioned in later years.

A sad indictment on modern TV when being too original counts against you.

Quote: chipolata @ April 22 2009, 10:53 AM BST

A sad indictment on modern TV when being too original counts against you.

Ah, that's my downfall. :)

Nightingales was very good btw.

A very good sitcom! :D

Quote: Darren Pomroy @ April 22 2009, 11:11 AM BST

A very good sitcom! :D

It certainly was. What got me about it was that night time feel. It gave it a certain edge that I really liked.

James, did you know that there's a character called James "Jamsie" Cotter in Rab C Nesbitt? He's one of the most weasely characters in sitcomdom, if there is such a word. I suspect you not quite like that.

Loved this - a real life twilight zone. Somebody once wrote it made you want to jack it all in and become a security guard in an office block in the wee small hours. Anybody here?

Quote: Yellows 586 @ April 22 2009, 4:58 PM BST

James, did you know that there's a character called James "Jamsie" Cotter in Rab C Nesbitt? He's one of the most weasely characters in sitcomdom, if there is such a word. I suspect you not quite like that.

No I am not like Jamsie who's a chronic serial philanderer and self-described 'scumbag'. I don't think there's many like Jamsie. And I did know about him, I'm a big fan of Rab C Nesbitt, I grew up watching it and I'm looking forward to a new series.

Anybody here??

Quote: jdubya @ April 21 2009, 10:10 PM BST

Nobody here but us chickens.

;)

What's the best episode of Nightingales in your opinion? I say a tie between 'Scrutiny of the Bounty' and 'Someone to Watch Over Me'.

I haven't seen them since they were first shown, so I have no idea.