The Late Show (Australian Comedy) Page 2

I assumed that it was part of The Chaser's show and not actually real footage from TGYH. I thought TGYH let them use the set to film that segment, but it wasn't actually part of a real TGYH show.

Quote: Martin H @ April 6 2009, 6:02 PM BST

I assumed that it was part of The Chaser's show and not actually real footage from TGYH. I thought TGYH let them use the set to film that segment, but it wasn't actually part of a real TGYH show.

It's real footage from TGYH, as it ended up as an outtake on a TGYH DVD.

I really have to disagree about Very Small Business & The Librarians. Two hilarous shows from a great writing team (Wayne Hope & Robyn Butler).

The Hollowmen is very funny, gets better with repeat viewing (I have the DVD).

I also recommend "Stupid Stupid Man" which is a sitcom set in a mens magazine called COQ. Yes cock. Pretty funny, but obviously on a shoestring budget.

Wilfred is another funny sitcom about a couple and wilfred (a man dressed as a dog). They smoke dope and swear.

Chandon Pictures (which will air in the UK soon I think) is a sitcom about a a documentary film maker who's credits include "Oh No Bozo: The Clown That Killed A Child" and they struggle to make films and get financed. It's funny, but takes a few episodes to get into.

I caught the first episode in the 2nd series of Merrick & Rosso Show, and it wasn't bad at all. Not sure of all the aussie celebs they interviewed but the sketches and bits they did were pretty funny. Made fun of Underbelly & made "drive by prank calls" (which weren't great).

Don't bash to hard on australia, its the only place I know that you can buy People Like Us Series 2 on DVD!!! I did!

Quote: fiveskin @ April 7 2009, 2:52 AM BST

I really have to disagree about Very Small Business & The Librarians. Two hilarous shows from a great writing team (Wayne Hope & Robyn Butler). ...

Sorry if I was a bit harsh on Very Small Business and The Librarians. I only watched two episodes of each and could not enjoy them; I tried, but the characters and plots just seemed rather weak, forced, twee and tedious. And not a single laugh. But I'll get them on DVD (courtesy of me local library) and watch them next time I'm living in Asia. Just about anything looks good in comparison to Korean soap operas.

There are many Australian sitcoms that I never saw: Stupid Stupid Man, Wilfred, Chandon Pictures, Merrick & Rosso Show, as well as something called Lano and Woodley.

Don't bash too hard on australia, its the only place I know that you can buy People Like Us Series 2 on DVD!!! I did!

I've been surprised that certain British and US shows end up being released on DVD in Australia before they're released in the UK (such as South Park, the complete Only When I Laugh, all of Are You Being Served).

The Hollowmen is very funny, gets better with repeat viewing (I have the DVD).

Wilfred is another funny sitcom about a couple and wilfred (a man dressed as a dog). They smoke dope and swear.

Chandon Pictures (which will air in the UK soon I think) is a sitcom about a a documentary film maker who's credits include "Oh No Bozo: The Clown That Killed A Child" and they struggle to make films and get financed. It's funny, but takes a few episodes to get into.

I can vouch for all three as well. The Hollowmen is a less apolitical The Thick of It and is equally as funny. Looking forward to a third series next year.

Wilfred is dry but very original and very good. For those in the States, it is being aired on IFC.

I completely agree with you on Chandon Pictures. It is funny but you have to commit to it if you really want to enjoy the show. The first series was a bit up and down, and hopefully the seconds series (which I believe is currently airing in Australia) will be more consistent. If you enjoyed Chandon Pictures, check out Rob Carlton's short film "Carmichael and Shane" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KE54DV07QwA) if you haven't already.

As for other shows mentioned, Frontline is obviously a classic as are We Can Be Heroes and Summer Heights High. If you enjoy Chris Lilley's work, I recommend the sketch show Big Bite which is worth watching if only for Chris Lilley's bits (the Mr. G character got his start on Big Bite). Another Australian comedy show I recommend is Russell Coight's All Aussie Adventures which basically satirizes outdoor adventure shows (e.g. Survivorman). It's a lot of slapstick humour but it works.

Tony Martin's book 'Lollyscramble' is another on my "to get list", it's meant to be a very good read.

I believe he's working on his second book now?

Quote: Martin H @ April 8 2009, 12:20 AM BST

Tony Martin's book 'Lollyscramble' is another on my "to get list", it's meant to be a very good read.

I didn't enjoy Lollyscramble very much, though by now you should be aware that I'm a stupid prat and my opinion isn't worth toffee.

Slightly more amusing than Lollyscramble are the spoof travel guide books by Rob Sitch, Santo Cilauro and Tom Gleisner: Molvania, Phaic Tan and San Sombrero. None of them made me laugh or think "wow, that's really clever". Bill Bryson seems to like them though.

Yeah I've heard Santo discussing those books on Get This. Will check them out at some point, but as you can see, my list of things to watch/read is getting longer every day. :D

Quote: Martin H @ April 8 2009, 12:30 PM BST

Yeah I've heard Santo discussing those books on Get This. Will check them out at some point, but as you can see, my list of things to watch/read is getting longer every day. :D

Unplug the Internets for a month and rediscover books (and DVDs).

Quote: Kenneth @ April 4 2009, 5:06 AM GMT

Hey Dad (1987-94) - Abysmal. Dreadful stuff about a single parent, his kids and his secretary with the brain of a retarded spaniel. Not a single laugh. But it was incredibly popular. I loathed it.

Big news in tiny Australian sitcom land this month, with the actress who played the young daughter in Hey Dad alleging that while aged 9 to 15, she was sexually molested behind the scenes by the old actor who played her father. The show's producer is accused of intimidating the girl and other cast members into keeping quiet about the alleged abuse.