Has PC ruined the British Sitcom? Page 4

Quote: SlagA @ July 13, 2007, 9:22 PM

The idea that putting Bernard Manning on stage and then laughing at him making himself look ridiculous as he spouts 'racism' is an idea that no one would find appealing, ironic, or post-modern.

So why do people insist on using this idea as a defence for laughing 'at' racism rather than laughing 'with' the racism that's present in LB and Ricky G?

I think that you're trying a bit to hard to be seen as a crusader! That was the comedy of the time, and both black and white comediens indulged (and before you mention it, of course the ratio of black to white comedians is massively different as this is a predominantly white country), and if it was not for that type of comedy we would not have the comedy we have now!

I can't say what I do for living, but I work with Blacks and Asians every single day (and they ARE NOT racism terms by the way) and they are not as offended by such comedy as you would believe! And before you try to tell me different I work with these groups so am speaking from YEARS of personal experience! In fact they have their own comedy which does involve making fun of white Europeans! If everyone can laugh at everyone else, then surely the world would be a better place! I do think you're views are rhectorical dogma, and misguided but can understand why you have them. This is not a personal attack, just observations made through personal experience of working with minority groups.

Columbo - if I can possible be a crusader for the middle all-inclusive ground then yes, else no, not a real crusader.

:P

My point was very tongue in cheek to demonstrate that what is PC now may not be viewed as so in the future and that the popular notion that stating Manning was a racist but RG and LB cannot possibly be racist is not a logical position. I worry that I didn't make that clear or that you read your own intention into what I said. :)

You can't have both sides of the racism bun was my point, which is what a lot of "hate-manning but love LB / RG" people seem to say. (By that 'you', I don't mean you but the collective 'you'.)

And although you may have years of experience, my point is still valid that NO person alive today has direct personal experience that they can attach to the ORIGIN of that word. Our attachment of meaning to it is from purely cultural and social sources as handed down.

It seems my question has caused a bit of a debate.

:O
Debate is good as long as it doesn't get arsey or insulting.
:D

rofl

It's a shame someone like Bernard Manning could tell a very funny joke and it would appeal to everyone but then he would tell another racist, childish, ignorant joke straight after.

Quote: SlagA @ July 13, 2007, 10:35 PM

:O
Debate is good as long as it doesn't get arsey or insulting.
:D

No I don't agree with you you sheep shagger. (Just a joke)

Quote: nicholas keegan @ July 13, 2007, 10:36 PM

It's a shame someone like Bernard Manning could tell a very funny joke and it would appeal to everyone but then he would tell another racist, childish, ignorant joke straight after.

As indeed do RG and LB. >_<
Manning got caned by the same people who can see no wrong with modern 'acceptable' equivalents.

Quote: Jack Massey @ July 13, 2007, 10:38 PM

:P

I refer my learned colleague to the answer I gave Colonel Blake in the US sitcoms rubbish thread.

[quote name="SlagA" post="35558" date="July 13, 2007, 10:40 PM"]As indeed do RG and LB. >_< ????????????????????????????

Quote: Jack Massey @ July 13, 2007, 10:38 PM

Not to the sheep, he'll never live it down with his friends

SHEEP 1 (SHIVERING): He grabbed my legs and you know.

SHEEP 2: Thats horrible.

SHEEP 1: I think its a fetish thing he had a gas mask.

SHEEP 2: No offense mate but I think that was a safety precaution.

Laughing out loud

Quote: Jack Massey @ July 12, 2007, 10:12 PM

Has Political Correctness ruined the British Sitcom? What's your opinion?

Still no.

What's all this RG (post-modern) racism I hear about? Can someone give me a few examples?

What's the legal position ... is it now illegal to call someone "black", for example?

Sorry if it's a dumb question... just reading the posts in this thread made me think of it...

Fx

You can say whatever you want. However, if someone perceives what you've said to be racist, then you could find yourself in court.