Is this the most uncool iPod ad yet? Page 2

Altho I love / hate Macca for years of musical joy and heartbreak that ad is hideous.

Macca: Will this ad work? I feel such a prat.
Director: It'll all be in black and white
Macca: So you won't see me blushing in abject shame?
Director: No.
Macca: but will black and white hide my cringing?

IMO, the Frog Chorus is better than every song on one of his most critically acclaimed albums 'flowers in the Cac' which was untreated sewage with upbeat backing, and don't forget Ebony and Ivory. Or the Michael Jackson collaborations. Or the ... The list goes on.

His total output is phenomenal, although patchy, (but this is for a reson I'll mention later) but what a back catalogue. People would kill to have written "Maybe I'm Amazed", "Hey Jude", "Yesterday" and dare I say even "Mull of Kintyre" (purely from the sales perspective). Michael Jackson proved the truth of this statement when he effectively bought the publishing rights to most of the Beatles output.

However many artists would have been killed (career-wise and possibly physically) for writing the 'best' of Macca's worst.

Even after producing more dead turkeys than Bernard Matthew, the man is still undeniably one of the top ten composers of the modern age. He wrote the most covered song of all time, with many others in the top fifty covers. Holding the top FIVE places in the US top 10 at the same time. Inventors of the gatefold, the (pseudo) concept album, the music video. More pages of serious professional musical analysis devoted to him than any other person since the great composers. Writing a number one hit in a restuarant on a serviette as a challenge from Jack Nicholson.

But here's the crunch for Macca, he suffers from being a poor self-editor. And this is unfortunately what's muddying the issue. Many of the songs he's released would never have left another composer's bedroom, but Macca's poor sense of what is great and worthy of the public, and what is strictly for private use, isn't the gauge of whether the man is musical genius because if every song a band wrote was released then they would suffer Macca's fate.

Because of this inability to hold back the undeniable shite that ALL artists write, his musical reputation is judged more harshly than it deserves to be. Remove 50% of his weaker songs, or judge him on his best 100 songs, and he would muscle his way into the top 2 or 3 writers of all time.

So please help poor little Macca from making poor commercial decisions by supporting this worthy cause and buying his albums, if only to prevent another tragedy like the iPod ad.

Mucco respect for the Macca and The Beatles are part of music history.

I must admit, I prefer Lennon, but although Macca`s latest release was likeable enough, it washed over me a bit, but the video was truly inspiring.

My favorite Beatles songs (at the moment they are always changing) are Let it Be, Lady Madonna and The Ballad of John and Yoko 'They said they look like two gurus in Drag, Christ you know it ain't easy'

I don't listen to The Beatles, but if I had to, it would be the Hard Days Night, Rock n Roll type period. It's just fun, I can't be arsed with all that psychedelic sh*t.

I'm more for Lennon, to Jude. More intellect. And George. Paul is my least favourite Beatle but despite my love / hate for him I can't deny him his place in the pantheon. :)

I haven't heard his latest, I wasn't impressed with the choice of single (but that's Macca for you). Is it worth getting? I'll get it in the end, I always do but some end up on eBay faster than other. Is it up with "Chaos and Creation"?

Fave Beatles songs, AJP - I am the Walrus, and "Everybody's got something to hide (except for me and my monkey)" and Old Brown Shoe is a forgotten Harrison gem.

LOL Leevil.

I haven`t listened to "Memory All Full" yet either SlagA, I meant his single "Dance Tonight".

No wonder the video "Dance Tonight" is sooo amazing, it was directed by Michel Gondry (Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind).

Quote: zooo @ June 26, 2007, 12:50 PM

Do you think John Lennon woud have done this?

I'm almost glad we can never find out... :/

He'd have just carried on producing cack music alone. ;)

Quote: Leevil @ June 26, 2007, 2:17 PM

I don't listen to The Beatles, but if I had to, it would be the Hard Days Night, Rock n Roll type period. It's just fun, I can't be arsed with all that psychedelic sh*t.

Ditto. There's maybe half a dozen Beatles tracks I like. The rest are, to be almost-frank, a bit poo.

Do you think John Lennon woud have done this?

If Yoko could sit in a bag next to him.

I'm almost glad we can never find out... :/

I totally echo that sentiment with a certain sadness.

Quote: SlagA @ June 26, 2007, 1:34 PM

IMO, the Frog Chorus is better than every song on one of his most critically acclaimed albums 'flowers in the Cac' which was untreated sewage with upbeat backing, and don't forget Ebony and Ivory. Or the Michael Jackson collaborations. Or the ... The list goes on.

"The Girl is Mine" is my favourite MJ track :)

Quote: Leevil @ June 26, 2007, 2:17 PM

Quote: Aaron @ June 26, 2007, 3:35 PM

Ditto. There's maybe half a dozen Beatles tracks I like. The rest are, to be almost-frank, a bit poo.

Errr

I'm not calling it "bad" Retinend, I'm just saying, I don't listen to it.

Errr

I, however, am.

Yeah, and Aaron saying that is like Chris Eubank telling you that you need to update your wardrobe.
:P

Chris Eubank is a brilliant dresser.

But anyway.

I just think that The Beatles are very much of their time (kind of similar to MPFC). They've got a few tracks which 'work', but most just hasn't stood the test of time, IMO.

I could never understand why everyone raved about Sgt Pepper. True there were loads of innovative techniques but loads of crap songs really.

I like Please, please me, Hard Days Night, etc.

Love "In my Life" and I've done "I saw her standing there" and "Back in the USSR" on Karaoke. Can't sing but loved making a prat of myself!