CAR - INT/EXT? Page 2

EXT, but lets be honest, if you put INT it wouldn't matter.

Producers don't care about those minor details, believe me.

Cheers y'all. Perry gone an made sense after years of doing this, I never realised that's how it works.

Just to add to your confusion Leevil, I believe it's INT for in the car and EXT if the actions taking place outside the car, and INT/EXT if it's both.

If you were filming two characters chatting on a bus, for instance, the camera would be inside the bus. The scene heading would therefore make no sense if it was 'EXT - BUS'

Quote: Stylo @ October 8 2008, 12:05 AM BST

Just to add to your confusion Leevil, I believe it's INT for in the car and EXT if the actions taking place outside the car, and INT/EXT if it's both.

If you were filming two characters chatting on a bus, for instance, the camera would be inside the bus. The scene heading would therefore make no sense if it was 'EXT - BUS'

INT means the studio though, and a bus wouldn't be studio.

But overall, it doesn't matter, just put what you think is right and it'll be fine.

Quote: Seefacts @ October 8 2008, 12:07 AM BST

INT means the studio though, and a bus wouldn't be studio.

I'm not sure that is correct for a submission script, though it would be true of a shooting script later on.

For the writer initially, I think INT & EXT should be used as indicators of where the scene SEEMS to be. It is up to the director to decide if it will be shot on location or in the studio.

Quote: billwill @ October 8 2008, 12:12 AM BST

I'm not sure that is correct for a submission script, though it would be true of a shooting script later on.

For the writer initially, I think INT & EXT should be used as indicators of where the scene SEEMS to be. It is up to the director to decide if it will be shot on location or in the studio.

Correct, yeah. Just do what you think is right.

I was going to post this but you beat me to it! I have the same problem, I've written a few scenes where the characters are talking while in the car. I use INT but in the directions I make it obvious that one character's driving and one's in the passenger seat. I'm just never sure whether to use INT as they're in the car or EXT as they're on a road. So to be clear, just go with whatever I think's right right?

Quote: Zuhaib @ October 8 2008, 9:54 AM BST

I was going to post this but you beat me to it! I have the same problem, I've written a few scenes where the characters are talking while in the car. I use INT but in the directions I make it obvious that one character's driving and one's in the passenger seat. I'm just never sure whether to use INT as they're in the car or EXT as they're on a road. So to be clear, just go with whatever I think's right right?

Yeah EXT is logical as you're outside of a studio. But if you put INT it's not going to affect anything one bit.

I also use EXT or INT on sketches (there's probably no need) but I put INT on something that was obviously EXT (it would have to be on location). No one noticed, or cared.

People inside a car chatting

1. INT/EXT. PERRY'S CAR. WOOD LANE

People leaning on a car chatting.

1. EXT. WOOD LANE.

People chatting inside a car that is being driven

1. INT/EXT. PERRY'S CAR MOVING THROUGH LONDON STREETS.

Funnily enough I find myself writing a car-related sketch right now and wondering about exactly this question.

So, thanks for all the responses everyone.

Blimey, a useful thread on BSG! It'll be a working search function next.

Quote: Griff @ October 16 2008, 8:39 PM BST

It'll be a working search function next.

Yeah, then me and you will be mates!!

What if it's a convertible? Then you'd be inside the car, but technically on the outside!

Quote: Rosco @ October 16 2008, 10:38 PM BST

What if it's a convertible? Then you'd be inside the car, but technically on the outside!

Oh SHUT UP!

yeah, or on a motorbike. :P

The thing about a motorbike is that your always outside it, so EXT is correct. A convertible is different. Can you have 1/2 INT/EXT as you'll be half in/half out!