Final Draft etc. Page 2

Quote: Seefacts @ October 4 2008, 4:46 PM BST

Don't you find it interrupts the flow of dialogue you might be writing.

Not really, and I tend to just be typing it up from scribbles in a pad, rather than writing fresh onto a computer. I can't write straight onto a computer, I need a pen and paper to get going.

Quote: Tim Walker @ October 4 2008, 4:50 PM BST

Use whatever you feel comfortable using. Personally I use Final Draft because it's fairly hassle-free when writing. Not had any complaints.

(Off-topic slightly, but I see from the BBC writersroom newsletter that they've now added a script for 'Bonekickers' as available to download. Have they anticipated the website crashing in the rush for people to get hold of this?)

I had to wiki the show, I had no idea what it was!

Quote: Matthew Stott @ October 4 2008, 4:53 PM BST

Not really, and I tend to just be typing it up from scribbles in a pad, rather than writing fresh onto a computer. I can't write straight onto a computer, I need a pen and paper to get going.

Yeah, I do the same but with a blank WordPro file. I just jot down dialogue . . . well, not 'jot' but you know what I mean.

Quote: Seefacts @ October 4 2008, 4:53 PM BST

I had to wiki the show, I had no idea what it was!

In this case, ignorance is bliss.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ October 4 2008, 4:44 PM BST

I've never used anything, I do all the spacing and formatting as I go along; which I know takes ages but its what I'm used to now. Hasn't done me any harm, anyway.

Snap. Same here.
I thought I was the only one who did that. :)

I've asked a few "pro" TV writers at seminars etc what they use, and everyone I've asked just uses vanilla Word and formats it as they go along. (NB this is TV writers, not Film writers who are probably a higher proportion of FD users.) I know there are lots of writers on here with TV commissions who use ScriptSmart, Final Draft etc, but they're certainly not used by everyone.

Quote: Griff @ October 4 2008, 5:04 PM BST

I've asked a few "pro" TV writers at seminars etc what they use, and everyone I've asked just uses vanilla Word and formats it as they go along. (NB this is TV writers, not Film writers who are probably a higher proportion of FD users.) I know there are lots of writers on here with TV commissions who use ScriptSmart, Final Draft etc, but they're certainly not used by everyone.

I use FD for Film scripts and certain TV shows that want it. The Bill/EE for example do. Otherwise I use word. although I did just do a spec sitcom script or two in FD and wish now I hadn't.

:)

Yeah I've been asked a few times for the actual file via email - and they've always wanted it in FD.

Quote: Seefacts @ October 4 2008, 5:16 PM BST

Yeah I've been asked a few times for the actual file via email - and they've always wanted it in FD.

Hm; no ones ever mentioned anything like that to me, and I tend to only use e-mails recently; I haven't sent out an actual paper copy of anything in about a year or more.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ October 4 2008, 5:18 PM BST

Hm; no ones ever mentioned anything like that to me, and I tend to only use e-mails recently; I haven't sent out an actual paper copy of anything in about a year or more.

Same.

I'm not saying EVERYONE uses it of course. But yes there have been three occasions where an FD file via email has been involved.

Something to think about.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ October 4 2008, 5:18 PM BST

Yeah, I no longer have to send out paper copies. Though, Matthew, I think for newbies without interest that is still the best way to go. You and I know that when we send out a script to a producer it will be printed out (most likely). I was never confident of that a year ago. Personally, I like to know my script is being physically held in the hand when the reader is looking at it (much like an erect penis). It may not be environmentally-friendly, but I prefer to read a hard copy myself. But I'm an anal twat, so...

I resisted using Final Draft for ages, a film company gave me a copy early on but were quite happy to take scripts in word or PDF.

When I finally tried using it I found it annoying and difficult to use but after a bit of persistance I now can't imagine writing without it. I've tried Movie Magic and Sophocles and they seem to be almost exactly the same, so I've stuck with Final Draft.

I recently had to do some stuff in Word and couldn't believe how long it took me, I think using proper scriptwriting software doubles my speed and therefore my output.

For anyone who hasn't used proper software, you literally just type, you don't have to format anything or even type the characters' names - it's just adding the words. For me it was definitely worth the investment.

Which someone else paid.

I was given a copy of Final Draft as a present and now won't write in anything else. As Phill says, it takes away the need to think about formatting and lets you focus on the material instead.

I often start in a text doc then import into Final Draft once I have something workable/substantial. It imports text docs and formats them pretty well automatically if you do it right. I used to use the scriptmsart stuff but I was always dismayed every time I had to print out a draft hiw few words were on the page - I'm sure in scriptsmart 1 page must equal 30secs - FD pages are about a minute, give or take, which is good.

Quote: Griff @ October 4 2008, 4:42 PM BST

I'm so hacked off with all these various applications that I'm going to figure out how to build my own Word templates.

Why bother? use mine! Doing it properly take many many hours of research, work and of testing.

Much better than Scriptsmart. And been around longer.

google [Scriptwriters Toolkit]

But yes I do ask for about the price of 4 beers to compensate me slightly for all the effort I put into them.

Some of the prior threads https://www.comedy.co.uk/forums/thread/6761#P139597 https://www.comedy.co.uk/forums/thread/5583

Huh?

Hi Bill, unfortunately ...

Regrettably I had to forgo comverting my Scriptwriters Toolkit for MS Word on the Mac. It would take £2000 to £3000 worth of effort and there was no way that I could ever get paid for it.

There simply was not enough demand; over the last 3 or so years only about 20 writers with Macs have asked for a Mac version, so at the low "admin fee" of around £13, that would only recover £260.

... and I use MS Word for Mac. So I will try doing a basic version myself.