Turkish for Beginners (Türkisch für Anfänger) Page 3

Quote: Aaron @ August 6 2008, 11:58 PM BST

Kautschuk translates as "India rubber", apparently. So y'know, rubber. Holding things together. Being the centre. Putting up with it all. And all that. All the same thing.

Yes, but not in German. And the meaning of what she says shouldn't change when translating. As I said, I'll have another look at it tomorrow and then prove you wrong.

Ahhh I see. Right, yeah.

Today got me annoyed at my school for not letting me learn German. The bastards.

Quote: Aaron @ August 7 2008, 12:05 AM BST

Today got me annoyed at my school for not letting me learn German. The bastards.

It is actually quite a wonderful language. But also a real bitch. So if you've learnt Latin, it was probably less frustrating than German would have been.

You didn't seriously consider learning German, did you?

I was forced to learn French in my first year (this is of secondary school). Which I was awwwwwwwwwwwful at. In the second year they halved the number of French lessons, and we did German alongside. Which I was actually pretty good at. But would they let me carry it on? No. I wasn't allowed to do something I had talent in, and was forced to spend another 3 years studying something I had no f**king clue what it was about.

My brother was lucky enough to start off with German, so did that all the way through, and is a natural. Apparently he's the most gifted German speaker they've ever had there. He's going to be studying German and somethingorother at university. Me, I know a few words of French, and a few of German.

Now Russian, I would have loved to get the chance to learn.

Quote: Aaron @ August 7 2008, 12:30 AM BST

I was forced to learn French in my first year (this is of secondary school). Which I was awwwwwwwwwwwful at. In the second year they halved the number of French lessons, and we did German alongside. Which I was actually pretty good at. But would they let me carry it on? No. I wasn't allowed to do something I had talent in, and was forced to spend another 3 years studying something I had no f**king clue what it was about.

My brother was lucky enough to start off with German, so did that all the way through, and is a natural. Apparently he's the most gifted German speaker they've ever had there. He's going to be studying German and somethingorother at university. Me, I know a few words of French, and a few of German.

So all this patriotism is just a clever ruse then.

A ruse to what? :O

Actually I had less of a hard time understanding those errors or odd words than some of the British slang in shows like Little Britain. When that dude is playing the teenage girl it sounds like gibberish to me. :S

It sounds like gibberish to us too. That's the whole point.

Oh...well then that's good to know. Laughing out loud Thanks man I honestly thought you guys could.

What she says is kind of, slaggy poor-person urban speak. But so incredibly fast, that you're not meant to know anything other than she's rabbiting on about nothing to do with what she's been asked. Because that's what stupid kids do. So you may be missing a few words, but not in any way which would hinder the sketch, and we'd have to slow it down to understand ourselves anyway. :)

Quote: Aaron @ August 7 2008, 12:30 AM BST

I learnt Russian! A-level anyway.

Oh you big lucky poo. I'm trying to teach myself now. Slowly. Very slowly.

Quote: Finck @ August 6 2008, 11:42 PM BST

"Hey Finck, you're a bit repelling."
"Hey Finck, may I bounce off of you?"

Not sure about that.

I like the nickname Doris has for Lena, though. Cucumber. Or Gürkchen.

We also use gherkin, I guess it must be derived from the German.

"Have I told you how repelling you're looking this morning?" Hmmm, yeah I'll only use chouchoac as an insult.

Quote: Aaron @ August 7 2008, 9:05 AM BST

Oh you big lucky poo. I'm trying to teach myself now. Slowly. Very slowly.

It's not easy with the cyrillic alphabet. But once you get around that it's a fun language.

Quote: Simon Stratton @ August 7 2008, 9:10 AM BST

It's not easy with the cyrillic alphabet. But once you get around that it's a fun language.

I want to learn Russian, too. Have started with the alphabet and found that not to be that difficult. But I stopped after that.

My dream is to one day be able to read Oblomov in Russian. I just can't be bothered at the moment. :)

I've never read that, but now I have a new word to abuse Aaron with.

I'm supprised I've never even heard of it to be honest, it looks like it was a big literary and cultural work. And quite funny.

P.s. Aaron - you're an oblomov. ;)