Turkish for Beginners (Türkisch für Anfänger) Page 2

Funny stuff I liked it. My biggest problem was how fast the translations changed. I can't recall if I've watched much German TV or movies with English subtitles but I thought this one was really quick.
Besides that (which is not the shows fault) I thought it was great! THanks for posting it Finck.

Quote: Curt @ August 6 2008, 8:58 PM BST

Funny stuff I liked it. My biggest problem was how fast the translations changed. I can't recall if I've watched much German TV or movies with English subtitles but I thought this one was really quick.
Besides that (which is not the shows fault) I thought it was great! THanks for posting it Finck.

The subtitles are obviously handmade (there were plenty of errors, too). I'll probably try myself at subtitling the second episode and will do my best to make it readable.

I'm glad you liked it, as it's the only German TV show I'm happy to recommend.

Wow. I'm with Aaron on this, this is a lot better than anything that's on British TV at the moment. The subtitles are awful:

"I am the caoutchouc of the family"
"You are so kitsche"

Anyone?

But still the writing manages to come through as really high quality. It must be possible to buy the DVD with English subtitles surely? Otherwise I'm just going to steal this and write an English version.

Well kitsche obviously should be "RubyMae", and now that you've reminded me to Google it, the other one should be that she is the glue of the family.

I also was quite amused that they ripped the title style straight from Friends: "The One with..." etc.

Anyway, no Simon, I checked. No mention of the DVD having English subtitles that I could see. :(

Quote: Simon Stratton @ August 6 2008, 11:02 PM BST

But still the writing comes through as really high quality. It must be possible to buy the DVD with English subtitles surely? Otherwise I'm just going to steal this and write an English version.

As I said, there's only that one episode, and that has been subtitled by some kid. There's no official subtitled version and I doubt there'll be one unless the Beeb buy it, which seems quite unlikely. I have already offered to translate, but it's 36 episodes already with the third series starting this autumn.

Edit: Kitschig is something like "cheesy". I've forgotten the context of the other word, but I think it's meant to say "rubber ball" or something like that.

Better get cracking then, eh? ;)

No, seriously though, if you do have the time to do some I would love to see them, but no pressure! :)

Quote: Finck @ August 6 2008, 11:08 PM BST

Edit: Kitschig is something like "cheesy". I've forgotten the context of the other word, but I think it's meant to say "rubber ball" or something like that.

Kitsch is a word in English too, don't worry. And the other one was glue. Ie "I am the glue that holds this family together". :)

Quote: Aaron @ August 6 2008, 11:14 PM BST

No, seriously though, if you do have the time to do some I would love to see them, but no pressure! :)

Just make sure you bring us all a copy to the meet up.

Kitsch is a word in English too, don't worry. And the other one was glue. Ie "I am the glue that holds this family together". :)

Not sure you can refer to a person as kitsch though? Apart from Ruby of course.
I did like the way the German word for stereotypical is cliche which is of course English but French. Or something.

It'd be a lot easier if I found the fincking script somewhere. I'll do my very best, though.

Quote: Simon Stratton @ August 6 2008, 11:17 PM BST

I did like the way the German word for stereotypical is cliche which is of course English but French. Or something.

But we write it "Klischee" and thereby preserve our dignity. Maybe.
And "Stereotyp" exists as well, just not as an adjective (usually).

And the other one was glue. Ie "I am the glue that holds this family together". :)

Ah... I wonder how you pronounce 'caoutchouc' though. It's a great word to use in conversation.

And the other one was glue. Ie "I am the glue that holds this family together". :)

I'm quite sure it isn't glue, because Lena says "Kautschuk" in German. It's something about her being the one who has to put up with everything. Like a punching ball. I'll have another look at it tomorrow.

Quote: Simon Stratton @ August 6 2008, 11:23 PM BST

Ah... I wonder how you pronounce 'caoutchouc' though. It's a great word to use in conversation.

The first half like 'couch' and the rest like 'book' without the 'b'.

Found this during a Google search, dated March 2008. I'm sure it'll make Aaron happy.

"French TV/culture weekly Télérama has an article on this (not online unfortunately) this week. A German TV series called Türkisch für Anfänger (Turkish for Beginners) is about to go on one of Canal + 's cable/sat channels. Dubbed into French, with an unfortuantely silly title, Family Mix."

Quote: Finck @ August 6 2008, 11:30 PM BST

I'm quite sure it isn't glue, because Lena says "Kautschuk" in German. It's something about her being the one who has to put up with everything. Like a punching ball. I'll have another look at it tomorrow.

The first half like 'couch' and the rest like 'book' without the 'b'.

Thanks Finck, you're our kautschuk ;) (would that work in a chat-up line?)

Quote: Simon Stratton @ August 6 2008, 11:38 PM BST

Thanks Finck, you're our kautschuk ;) (would that work in a chat-up line?)

"Hey Finck, you're a bit repelling."
"Hey Finck, may I bounce off of you?"

Not sure about that.

I like the nickname Doris has for Lena, though. Cucumber. Or Gürkchen.

Quote: Finck @ August 6 2008, 11:30 PM BST

Kautschuk translates as "India rubber", apparently. So y'know, rubber. Holding things together. Being the centre. Putting up with it all. And all that. All the same thing.