*Draws you in with her internet abilities* Page 2

Thanks everyone! It's been very helpful. I'll try to get something down, and not delete it.

Cheers!

Quote: Treenifer @ July 17 2008, 6:40 PM BST

The sight of a blank word page is a very scary thing, suddenly. Anything I do get down I feel is completely crap seconds later, and always end up deleting.

You're just out of practice lovey. I've done a bit of flashing, as in writing any old crap that comes into my head, not the other kind. That always helps get the discipline for writing back.

I was wondering whether anyone else had been through this kind of stagnating experience and if they had any tips?

All the time. Just keep on writing, because when you stop thinking it's not good enough your ego has taken over. I'm never 100% happy with what I write but I can see an improvement with every piece I write.

(Before you ask, I have tried drinking. Didn't work. Ended up with a court case. 'Nuff said.)

Whatever gets you writing. Have you written about your brush with the law?

Go on... have a go...

Cheers

JJ

If nothing is coming out maybe it's because you have nothing to say right now.

I think it's self-delusion to think that you can write something great every day just because you'd like to or because there is a deadline to meet. If you can work like that, well done! I can't.

I personally think that if you're a creative writer then you need to recognise that it comes and goes. If nothing is coming, leave it 'til you get inspired! If you are a writer, you'll get inspired soon enough without trying!

If you worry about it, you'll get stressed and nothing good will come anyway!

Don't know if that helps or not. Probably not. Oh well!

Quote: Graham Bandage @ July 18 2008, 12:09 AM BST

Evelyn Waugh used to do 200 words a day I believe.

Some days I reckon he must have gone slightly under or over that figure. Like 198 or 203 or similar.

Oh yeah, this book's really good:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Five-minute-Writer-Exercise-Inspiration-Creative/dp/1845281578

It's a series of interesting writing exercises, from 'write a list of 20 new similies' to 'write 250 words on the most boring thing you can think of'. It might not directly inspire comedy writing but you will at least get something written of a morning.

I would suggest three things which may already of been mentioned but hey-ho.

1. Try something different, if you write comedy try drama or scifi-whatever.
2. Stop, don't write at all just read or watch movies or whatever, eventually the urge will return.
3. Think about the one thing in your life that you are most passionate about, and write about that.