The Sitcom Trials 2008

Does anybody here know whether the competition is limited to one entry per writer? Or can we chuck in as many master pieces as we like?

Good to know, good to know!

Not that I've actually finished/started writing the favourite entry as such yet. It's in the planning stages, plan plan plan.

Quote: Griff @ May 16 2008, 2:04 PM BST

You can send in as many as you like (I had two on last year). Last thing I heard from Simon Wright, they were still a bit short of decent scripts for this year.

That doesn't bode well with the ones I sent then :O

Friends?... But I'm a writer, I don't know people. I just sit at home typing in the dark. With my cats.

Out of interest, how many of these "friends" you speak of, did you need to get to the semi-finals?!

Didn't they say they were going to be changing the voting somehow, to lessen the chances of the person with the most mates in the audience winning?

Well I'm in Brighton. I know a fair few people in London, but I suspect I'd be out-numbered unless my loyal supporters were prepared to travel. I'm not actually entering with any real idea of getting through, so it's all good practise. If by magic it got to the point of being performed, I'd be chuffed, and very pleased to just see how my writer works on stage. I'm still very new to all this.

Why do you need a script with loads of actors? So they all bring their friends as well?! Haha good good.

Plus Brighton is a much nicer place to be!!!!

:)

Some of their sites pages appear to be missing, especially the Writers Guidelines. So does anyone know when the deadline is for this years competitions?

Or even if there is a copy of the guidelines somewhere on here?

You might wanna try the facebook group for a copy of the guidelines. I can't remember off the top of my head if they have a copy of one, but it's worth a try.

What I can remember off the top of my head, is that the deadline is indeed Aug the 15th, and a few of the guidelines are... make sure it's pratical for stage. If the opening scene has ... I dunno, the main characters flying like superman throw the sky, it's not gonna work on stage. Secondly, it needs to be funny from page one. As it's only 15 minutes long, it needs to be snappy from the go. It was all pretty obvious stuff really.

Ps yes Marc, Brighton is much nicer :)

Apologies for my ignorance, but what's this all about? Is this a competition to get a sitcom on T.V.?

Quote: catskillz @ May 22 2008, 2:27 AM BST

Apologies for my ignorance, but what's this all about? Is this a competition to get a sitcom on T.V.?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/writersroom/opportunity/every1sacritic.shtml

Also, I think they sent out an email saying that it has to have scope to work as more than a single episode.

Dan

www.sitcomtrials.co.uk

One key thing to remember about the sitcom trials; winning isn't everything! I have heard via the comedy grapevine that more than one entrant has made contact with production companies after taking part in the trials. Then there's the other contacts you may make - talented actors looking for material, for example.

I'd also recommend having a go if you've never worked with a director or actors before. I hadn't, and found it to be an invaluable learning experience.

Then there's getting audience feedback - they are unpredictable creatures, for sure. You'll be surprised at how some of your lamest jokes getting big laughs while that splendidly witty line falls bang on its bottom.

My only advice is bear in mind your initial audience will be in a pub, so broad comedy will probably work best. I seem to remember thinking that one of the semi-finalists last year ("Singing the Blues") was very smart and clever but didn't do so well in that environment.

So what do the actual winners get out of this?