Bearded Ladies

Have you heard they are filming a new series of this at the end of the month?

Didn't they used to take unsolicited submissions?

Or are they using the stuff they asked for sometime last year?

Hey 'Nuts

I thought they'd stopped taking open submissions for this as Recorded For Training Purposes was the 'thing for open submissions' now. Cos you know, they wouldn't want *too* many things for unsolicited writers hanging around, would they?

Dan

Sorry - what's this?????????

Bearded Ladies is a sketch show for Radio 4. The last few series they've taken open submissions (it's been advertised on the BBC Writers' Room). I don't think they are doing anymore for this programme but will be doing it for Recorded For Training Purposes instead.

One of their writers is lurking about on here somewhere so maybe he can confirm or deny this crazy allegation?

Dan

If he's lurking maybe he'll "borrow" something.

I don't believe they take open submissions anymore.

I thought this may be Zooo and Jude.

Ive written for them, the producer told me that they will no longer be taking unsolicited submissions.

Is that because they've got enough or probably got inundated with rubbish?

You probably don't know although I suspect the latter. Maybe though if they are viewing this site they find something good.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ May 11, 2007, 7:20 PM

Ive written for them, the producer told me that they will no longer be taking unsolicited submissions.

Yet another door slammed shut. All these broadcasters talking about their commitment to finding new comedy talent aye...

Totally agree, Nuts.

Difficult because they do get a lot of stuff. I know Parsons and Naylor got stuff which was not only unsuitable, but unusable.

The problem is this; there are a lot of people, not on here, generally, who assume that they can write and the opposite is true. There are very few people who actually can write well; or at least tailor material to the shows they are submitting to.The problem is they open themselves up to so much material, and then when they don't use it, these loonies (and some of them are loonies) call up to argue the toss. I do know of one producer who got hate mail to his home address because he didn't use material sent to him. You have to be careful who you are opening your door to.

Having said that I do feel that the lack of communication both internally in the BBC and externally needs addressing. I've had scripts back with 'could be worth looking at', re-written it and had a note back saying they won't read things twice. I once had somehting going with a senior producer, whose secretary refused to put me through to him, even though he had asked me to call him. Whether he was blowing me off, I don't know, but I do know I got to speak to him after quite a few tries, and he apologised.

There is a lack of communication there, for sure. As to developing new talent...well, they do run workshops, but there again it gets difficult when it's so cloak and dagger...

Thanks Ed, what workshops were you refering to? skillset ones?

Or even better, if anyone knows how the hell to get into this industry from the outside?

Keep at it though Guys! New shows spring up from time to time that take unsolicited material.

They're not taking submissions because it's no longer a sketch show.