DVD Recorders Page 2

Quote: Jay N @ June 5 2008, 3:53 PM BST

Pioneer LX60D

Nice.

Ooooooooo, niiiiceeeeeee.

You're safe for the moment though Alan. Just out of my current price range. (Saving up though, mwhahaha!)

Quote: Jay N @ June 5 2008, 3:53 PM BST

Sounds like we should talk, lol, I have over 5000 dvds in my collection and I am always up for trading on rare british sitcoms and dramas

I'm surprised you think there's anything missing from your collection!

Quote: Aaron @ June 5 2008, 3:58 PM BST

I'm surprised you think there's anything missing from your collection!

Zillions of stuff

Far less than mine! :'(

Yes, I don't think I can compete with you chaps. A lot of my stuff has come out on dvd, which I'm buying as and when I can. Some of the old tapes are being binned now, but only where the contents are easily available on dvd. However, I may have the odd item of interest, so I will have to get back to you.

That looks like a meaty piece of technology. Possibly a bit over my price limit as well!

This is the one I have or at least the closest to it, mines the 80gb model, I think?

http://us.liteonit.com/us/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=156&Itemid=103

It's OK, does the job, although there are a few nags, like the library system is just split into the basic VIDEO/AUDIO/PICTURE, I'd prefer more options to categorize my programs n stuff. Although the audio section seems to have this, the video doesn't :S

There's also no dual tuner and the picture can be a little iffy sometimes. DVD playback is good, but when I watch Sky through scart lead it's blurry or washed out, even worse through the analogue lead. But recorded programmes look fine.

The edit features are pretty good, nice and simple though. It's copies quite fast and you can record on CD if you really want to, lol, with its all-write thing.

DivX plays back OK, but doesn't work with everything though, annoyingly when you've spent ages "acquiring" a whole 24 episode series onlyfor it to say it's not compatible GRRR, good job I have another DivX player though.

It's a OK player, but I'm looking for a new one.

My neighbour has a Liteon, he says the picture quality is very good.

Quote: Bad dog @ June 5 2008, 4:20 PM BST

My neighbour has a Liteon, he says the picture quality is very good.

I've had two, the first one (without a HDD) was awful, I liked the rest of the player but I had to change my TV settings to accommodate the player. For some reason I stuck with the same make and bought the next model up with the HDD, and whilst it's no where near as bad, it's still a bit annoying that I can't watch TV through the player without the blurriness, so out the window goes "pausing live tv" for me, unless I wait for about 20-30 seconds whilst it turns on and then I can press "pause", which is a waste anyway because it records in the lowest quality. So it's just easier to press record and then play and then pause.

But it's still an OK player, lol :D

Quote: Bad dog @ June 5 2008, 4:11 PM BST

That looks like a meaty piece of technology. Possibly a bit over my price limit as well!

Sorry I forget that not everyone lives in a house that only has electronic equipment as furniture :$

I really fancy getting one now, the luxury of being able to record onto a hard disk.

I guess the Liteons are inexpensive enough to be able to have a go with one before you decide to go for something a bit pricier. My Panasonic recorder was £250 3/4 years ago, funnily enough the same price as my first PLAYER back in about... er, 1999? Whenever it was that dvd players came out. Now you can get them for, £25.

Quote: Jay N @ June 5 2008, 4:32 PM BST

Sorry I forget that not everyone lives in a house that only has electronic equipment as furniture :$

No, but I know what you mean! I hope to re-claim my front room from the vhs tapes and the dvds.

My first DVD recorder was a Lite-On. Dodgy picture quality on the highest setting, and then broke JUST before the warranty expired (thankfully).

I work in an electrical shop and have to sell these all the time to stupid people that can't even turn their TV on. Explaining tuners to them is not fun.

I quite like Toshiba/JVC/Sharp/Pioneer.
It is a case with these of sticking to a name you know, if you get one from Tesco for a fiver you deserve to have trouble with it. *shakes fist*

/endworkmode

Quote: Rachel @ June 5 2008, 5:20 PM BST

I work in an electrical shop and have to sell these all the time...

Staff discount available to all members of the forums? Wave

Quote: Rachel @ June 5 2008, 5:20 PM BST

I work in an electrical shop and have to sell these all the time to stupid people that can't even turn their TV on. Explaining tuners to them is not fun.

Soooo, where's this you work? :D

(My Dad works in the TV industry. He finds it quite amusing to hear the crap that salespeople come out with. I hope you're one of the few who don't spout bollocks!)

Quote: Aaron @ June 5 2008, 5:33 PM BST

I hope you're one of the few who don't spout bollocks!)

It's rare but salesmen can tell the truth (like a Irishman being sober).