What instruments do you play?

I've never played any, until last night when I found an old harmonica and searched youtube for free lessons. Now I learnt how to breath properly, do some bends and play a lick, which I played to death, but still. I'm pretty impressed with myself that I learnt so quickly. I may even put some youtube vids up next week when I'm better, I hope.

It seems a really easy thing to learn and probably is to other instruments but yeah I like it and I must be annoying the neighbours :D

So what does anyone else play?

The gee-tar, which is a lot like the guitar, but spelt wrong. I cant play it well mind. I also used to tootle on the harmonica too. Again, quite badly.

Haha nice! My mate Chris entered this house music competition at my old school a couple of years ago, playing the harmonica. The teacher thought he was taking the piss but then he started and he was actually pretty good! The harmonica sounds really good when it's played well.

I play the geeetar. Self taught too (if Hendrix can do it, why can't I?)

Just started taking classical guitar lessons.

I play bass gee-tar (that's catchy).

So much more fun to play than guitar imho! :D

Quote: Rachel @ May 31 2008, 5:19 PM BST

I play bass gee-tar (that's catchy).

So much more fun to play than guitar imho! :D

My friend's got a bass and I play on it quite a lot, it is really enjoyable! The only thing I don't like about it is that I don't know that many songs with really recognisable bass lines. I just end up playing Dreaming Of You by The Coral and Lovecats by The Cure over and over again!

I played the drums for many years in North East bands - anyone who is bored for a few minutes can check out this TV appearance. I even had hair then :D

Oh I can play guitar quite compitently too but only performed once as a guitarist.

Nice one Alan, although that's more of a hat than hair.

Quote: Leevil @ May 31 2008, 5:50 PM BST

Nice one Alan, although that's more of a hat than hair.

I agree it was a bad hair year that one (1980)

Used to play the guitar but I didn't get good quick and stopped.

Sums me up pretty well :S

I would never have even thought of looking on YouTube for such videos. So kudos to the evil one for that alone.

I play a bit of gee-tar and harmonica...

I got a 5 string banjo for my birthday which I'm learing to play with the aid of Banjo fo Dummies and good old Youtube...

kjs

Quote: Aaron @ May 31 2008, 6:31 PM BST

I would never have even thought of looking on YouTube for such videos. So kudos to the evil one for that alone.

I learned some basics on boxing from YouTube, quite a place to "learn"

I played the trumpet with the local school band.
Which really pissed them off as they had no idea who I was!

Seriously, I did play trumpet in MY school band/orchestra. Never continued with it though. Got brassed off.

I occasionally strum the old guitar longing to be as good as Michael Schenker or Jimmy Page. Or their roadie even!

Quote: NickTheDon @ May 31 2008, 5:24 PM BST

My friend's got a bass and I play on it quite a lot, it is really enjoyable! The only thing I don't like about it is that I don't know that many songs with really recognisable bass lines. I just end up playing Dreaming Of You by The Coral and Lovecats by The Cure over and over again!

Maybe you're listening to the wrong type of music. If you want really good bass-dominated music, you really have to listen to Funk, from the '70s. Here's a short clip of the first guy, who really dared to make the bass the centre of attention in a band: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j2_SreKsg2k&feature=related