BBC Comedy College Page 48

Quote: Antrax @ April 26 2008, 11:59 AM BST

I think that's all valid.

Look at it this way - I was one of the winners of the Sketch factor thing two years back. Now, I'm still in touch with quite a few of the other winners, and out of the three I've spoken to, the furthest we managed in this was one of us getting the 'you nearly made the top 40' thing. Just one. The rest of us - nothing at all. And we're all writers who've had a substantial amount of broadcast quality sketches, employed more than once by the Beeb.

In others words, this is one scheme. You do well in one, you do badly in the other. Doing bad in one comp doesn't mean you're bad. On a different day with a different person, you might have done all right.

Agreed!

Like Antrax I was one of the 10 Sketch Factor winners and got nowhere with this. I can't even get my stuff on Tilt at the moment. At this moment in time, I'm the comedy version of Derby County, but that's no reason to jack it all in and give in.... Indeed, since I'd never written a single line of sketch comedy until I tried my hand at Sketch Factor, it'll do me good to get a right boot up the arse and actually find out how hard this comedy lark is.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/writersroom/2008/04/college_3.shtml

New blog up. Also whispers of a new initiative......

--------------------------------------------------------
EDIT by SlagA to insert capitals - apologies. :$ :P :)

Oh this is good news.

New blog up (with plenty of 'discussion' below it) http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/writersroom/2008/05/college_4.shtml

Dan

They haven't come up with the form one has to fill in yet, it is soooooo frustrating, they need a bomb shoving up their a*ses

Quote: bushbaby @ May 13 2008, 9:42 PM BST

They haven't come up with the form one has to fill in yet, it is soooooo frustrating, they need a bomb shoving up their a*ses

Do you mean for Sharps? I think it's probably deliberate. Puzzlingly, there's always a large percentage of entrants who think the quicker they send off their entry the better chance they will have.

There's four weeks left to the deadline and this might encourage people to re-write rather than sending in their first draft when the form is ready.

Quote: Robin Kelly @ May 13 2008, 10:24 PM BST

Do you mean for Sharps? I think it's probably deliberate. Puzzlingly, there's always a large percentage of entrants who think the quicker they send off their entry the better chance they will have.

There's four weeks left to the deadline and this might encourage people to re-write rather than sending in their first draft when the form is ready.

I wish I was as sensible and as calm as you Teary

Quote: bushbaby @ May 13 2008, 10:37 PM BST

I wish I was as sensible and as calm as you Teary

I wish I was as sensible and calm as I pretend to be :)

Quote: bushbaby @ May 13 2008, 9:42 PM BST

You've written it! I still cannot figure out what 'Health of the Nation' means?? :S

Quote: jacparov @ May 13 2008, 11:20 PM BST

I still cannot figure out what 'Health of the Nation' means?? :S

What ever you want it to...

Obviously the more original the better... ;)

kjs

That was no help at all, was it?

No.

I wanted to write about a serial killer that works in a samaritans call centre and convinces people, via Hypnosis and NLP, to commit suicide. But it doesn't really fit does it. Gutted.

Why does every one (including me) want to nasty scripts about evil, what's wrong with us?

Quote: jacparov @ May 13 2008, 11:34 PM BST

No.

I wanted to write about a serial killer that works in a samaritans call centre and convinces people, via Hypnosis and NLP, to commit suicide. But it doesn't really fit does it. Gutted.

Mental health is health, dude.

Sod it I'll write it anyway, it'll bug me if I don't.

And to sootyj, I think partly the attraction of writing is to allow our fantasies the freedom of expression we don't get anywhere else.

And we're sick.

Quote: jacparov @ May 13 2008, 11:20 PM BST

You've written it! I still cannot figure out what 'Health of the Nation' means?? :S

I think they mean 'Health of the Nation' in a broader sense..as in current cultural/social issues. Immigrants. Suicide bombers.Hoodies. Single muvvers. Nigerian scammers. London underground. Eastern European immigrants stealing our jobs. Parents going to church to get their kids in the right school. Political apathy. Gun crime. Social exclusion/inclusion. People who arrived in the country 24 hrs ago, buy a clapped out car and call themselves mini cab drivers. That sort of thing.

I think.