Torchwood...

Well, not a comedy but contained humour, and was highly anticipated!

I thought it was brilliant, lots of Sci Fi, humour, Hard Science, the characters were solid, a bit of a cross from spooks and that series a few years ago with the girl from casualty in ... although without the aliens!

Looking forward to the next episodes

PS - it's repeated on Wednesday on BBC2 apparently!

I thought it was good, but it's not as good as i expected it would be. I hope it improves over the next coming weeks, just like Robin Hood started to this week.

I love Eve Myles though, heh.

I loved it!
Funnier than I thought it would be. I think it handles humour a bit better than Dr Who does, too.
And hurray, swearing and blood. Don't get that in Dr Who.

Not that I'm comparing it to Dr Who...

Whats the crack with it? How is it linked to Doctor Who? Is there a Time Lord in it or something knocking around sh@gging birds all over the universe?

Captain Jack i guess, and the Torchwood references were always in the last series of DW.

Come on. Its better than Dr. Who, but only just. Both shows suffer from a Russell T Davis' egomaniacal control syndrome. I read somewhere that the writers only write the scripts for Who and Davis supplies ALL the storylines and plot breakdowns. This is why Dr.Who and especially the first episode of Torchwood are so thin on the ground plot wise. Even Davis can't keep up the demands of fielding so many ideas, but instead of spreading around the opportunities for other TV writing talent he hogs it to himself and boxes the writers he chooses (if you look at the credits you'll find they're mostly his mates) in story wise. How long did Torchwood take to set up, I clocked that we were half way in before anything plotwise actually happened? He can afford to write so badly because he's the current BBC goldenchild, but imagine if you or I sent in a script like that? It would get rejected straight away for being so tediously slow. As for humour, there was some there, but again a little tame. At the beginning of the first programme they warned us about swearing and then threw in a completely unecessary 'F**k' in the first minute. Smoke and mirrors. The second was better, but not by much. The whole aline / sex thing was done much better in the X-files episode Genderbender, where the alien did pretty much the same thing - pheremones, sex, death etc, but there was a much more interesting Amish subplot, the alien's abilities better defined and the final scene was fantastic.

Hello Davies hater. Thought it was quite good, though hopefully will get better as it settles into its stride, just as the new Dr. Who did.

Not a Davies hater. Respect much of his former work. But he was working hard to break in then. He was more careful and more generous then. Now he has one of the most popular fanchises on TV at his fingertips he's closing down on other writers in a fashion he would have despised as a younger writer himself. Some of the wirters on the first series and most on the second were Davis boys - guys affiliated with him - mates in other words - despite the fact that there are many writers out there who would write better for this series. Think of the poor Whovians - even the writers - waiting in the wings while the series dies a death, waiting for their chance, waiting for the ressurection of Dr. Who. Now I'm not one of these. I realise that firstly, you wouldn't get near the series unless you were one of the Davis mob and secondly there are certainly people far more knowledgeable than me who'd do service to a well remembered series. I feel sorry for those guys though, who have to watch inferior writers from completely unrelated fields getting a boost to their careers just for knowing Davis on the way up. I wouldn't mind, but it is exactly these writers and worse of all, Davis himself who cock the series up. Torchwood is already shaping up to be the same. It's such a shame.

Personaly I think the new Dr who is great, and it certainly hasnt died a death. Its true that, apart from the series two part endings, most of the davies scripted episodes were amongst the poorer efforts, but on the whole the show has all reeady had many high points. Dalek. Empty Child two parter. Satan Pit two parter. the marie antoinette one; all great episodes. And as for only hiring his friends,most of the new series writers do have a television track record and have had involvement in writing who before, in book and audio form, including Davies himself.These people are not only great writers but have a real passion for Who that is important, much better than farming out episodes to people with no real regard for the show, just writing for the money. Any way, this isnt a dr who site so lets just stop this!

Matt, did you seriously just indulge in a ten line discussion of Dr. Who and then end with the sentiment that we shouldn't be talking about this?

Yes, i got carried away, which is why i said we should stop talking about i in a jovial way.

To me it seems like Davies trying to live out his Buffy fantasies and failing. There's some nice stuff, but I'm fast losing interest in it.

I'm liking it more and more. The cyberwoman punching a pterodactyl in the face was all I've ever dreamed it would be.

Although, I really was promised more boys kissing.

Thought the cyberwoman one was easily the best so far,intense and edge of the seat stuff. But a half cyberwoman fist fighting a dinosaur?! Im still not sure whether thats genius or too absurd for words!! Looked pretty cool though! And Id like to know what the actors thought when they first read that bit!

Completely missed it this week. Seems like a good enough show, but they've given it an utterly shite load of timeslots, especially on terrestrial. Reserving judgement for another few weeks, I think.