The British Sitcom that is the least clever Page 2

Quote: Richard Wells @ April 25 2008, 6:23 PM BST

Funny for somebody who doesn't like Gavin and Stacey, He sure drones on about it enough.

He never shuts up about it! Come on Oliver - you must hate some other shows as well! Id go for Two Pints as well, in a bad way, and Bottom, in a good way.

Quote: Griff @ April 25 2008, 11:18 AM BST

I guess Blackadder has to be the best example of a sitcom having a stern word with itself after the first series and sorting itself out?

Yeah and they got Ben Elton on board for the series two, I mean it's easy for people to bad mouth Elton nowadays, not surprised with stuff like Get A Grip, but he used to be a great comedy writer and really made Blackadder special.

Max & Paddy.

Lazy writing, crap acting and simply not funny. Still find it hard to believe that this tat is a spin-off from the legendary Phoenix Nights.

Does anyone remember According to Bex?

We try not to.

Quote: swerytd @ April 25 2008, 11:20 AM BST

Now someone's mentioned Ade Edmondson, wouldn't Bottom be the least clever? I think that's what they were aiming for with it, to be honest.

Dan

I agree. To be fair to them there is no way you could accuse them of being smartarse or arrogant. Just totally stupid.

My vote goes to 'Keeping Up Appearances'. This is crap on two levels. Mindless script which I swear to God I never smiled at once. I mean how many jokes can you throw at Bucket being pronounced Bouquet for f**ks sake? The second sin is that it wasted some very good actors. Looking back Patricia Routledge will wet her knickers.

Keeping Up Appearances is great!

Yea I must say you must have a heart of stone not to laugh at keeping up appearances.

It's probably easily in my top 5 best sitcoms.

A heart of stone? My ex-wife usually reserves that one! Just don't like it can't see the humour etc etc.. In the minority again. Tis my burden.

Ooh, so many to choose from.

6 months ago, I would have mentioned 2 pints without reservation. However, I think I'd now have to vote for Teenage Kicks.

Man, I hate that show so much that I have to pluck my own nasal hair just to get through it!

I guess special mention should go to Dinner Ladies as well. It must take a lot of work to be that crap.

Quote: graham @ April 27 2008, 2:50 AM BST

I guess special mention should go to Dinner Ladies as well. It must take a lot of work to be that crap.

Oh, I quite liked Dinner Ladies; obviously not aimed at someone my age, and could be quite wooden, but I always found it very watchable. Interesting to note that Wood didnt want it to be shot like it was, she wanted it as a none audience show with the camera speeding around them in an E.R-esque fashion; but was told she couldnt. Not sure the material actually suited the style she wanted, but it would have certainly made it a quite diffferent viewing experience to the cosy version we ended up with.

I find dinnerladies to be rather a deceptive show really. On first glance, it feels pretty depressing and demoralising, but when one watches again, there's some really great stuff hiding throughout. Particularly enjoy Brenda's dry wit, which mostly shines in reply to Twinkle's gems (no pun intended).

I enjoyed Dinnerladies too.
Victoria Wood et al always make me feel all cosy and wrapped in a 1980s blanket.

Whenever they get around to releasing some old VW shows on DVD, I'm sure I'll agree.