Shooting Costs

How much more expensive is it to film outside compared to a studio recording?

I'm a beginner and prod co's obviously won't want to plough money into someone with no track record. Perhaps I should concentrate on writing mostly internal pieces.

Any views?

Quote: Winterlight @ April 21 2008, 9:14 AM BST

I'm a beginner and prod co's obviously won't want to plough money into someone with no track record. Perhaps I should concentrate on writing mostly internal pieces.

Any views?

Yes. Keep locations to a minimum.

One big set, a couple of small ones is what they like.

Most production companies would probably tell you not to limit yourself too much in that way, give your creativity freedom to express itself. They'd much rather get a great script than a cheap one, so seing Ext. on the scene heading is not going to get yours chucked away.

You have to be sensible obviously; if your script starts with a helicopter landing in Wembley Stadium that might ring a few alarm bells. And I know shooting exteriors at night can be very costly, so I'd keep that to a minimum.

it's said that up to 4/5 mins location filming is acceptable per episode.

What about sketches?

A lot of sketch shows I've watched have had a lot of sketches shot on location. They usually have established writers, though, so again I guess it's best to keep things cheap.

Quote: Seamus @ April 21 2008, 1:17 PM BST

Most production companies would probably tell you not to limit yourself too much in that way, give your creativity freedom to express itself. They'd much rather get a great script than a cheap one, so seing Ext. on the scene heading is not going to get yours chucked away.

You have to be sensible obviously; if your script starts with a helicopter landing in Wembley Stadium that might ring a few alarm bells. And I know shooting exteriors at night can be very costly, so I'd keep that to a minimum.

If you want your first script to have a chance of getting made, keep it simple. If it's just to show you off as a writer to get other work, go nuts!

You should have a read at this Winter http://www.robinkelly.btinternet.co.uk/sitcom1.htm

Quote: Winterlight @ April 21 2008, 1:26 PM BST

What about sketches?

A lot of sketch shows I've watched have had a lot of sketches shot on location. They usually have established writers, though, so again I guess it's best to keep things cheap.

Keep it simple!

I tend to try and write sketches in threes. If they've got some sketches written for a similar location, they're probably more likely to use them. To get the most from a location.

Quote: Seefacts @ April 21 2008, 1:37 PM BST

I tend to try and write sketches in threes. If they've got some sketches written for a similar location, they're probably more likely to use them. To get the most from a location.

My favourites are Hampstead Heath, Piccadilly Circus and particularly Cromer as it has that long Victorian pier which throws up endless comic possibilities.

Quote: Winterlight @ April 21 2008, 9:14 AM BST

Any views?

I hired equipment over a weekend last summer and managed to film five sketches. However I made sure that the locations were in close proximity to each other: 2 indoors; 1 at a bus stop not far from my house;1 on my high street, and the fifth on a bus. (The last one entailed guerilla filming but we did it!)

So as Seefacts rightly says, it helps to keep costs and time down if you keep the locations to a bare minimum.