Super Bands Of Old Page 8

Quote: Curt @ April 15 2008, 9:06 PM BST

Laughing out loud I guess it is an odd name. There is also the town of Wahnapitae near by. We used to think that was a funny one when we were kids "wana peté" (peté in French meaning fart).

French is one f**king weird language.

Quote: Aaron @ April 15 2008, 7:09 PM BST

Yes I am, and no you didn't. Not unless you're American. In which case you're automatically wrong anyway. ;)

Aaron you need to go buy a dictionary, because upon reading my own dictionary, The Oxford English Dictionary, it was indeed spelled with a z.

Interesting Griff - how odd. I've never, anywhere, read or heard of that before!

Anyway, whilst the OED claims that -ize is more traditional but either are acceptable, this publishing house insists on -ise.

I was taught in school "realise" and have always thought "realize" to be the American spelling. Really quite weird to me too.

Quote: Aaron @ April 16 2008, 4:20 PM BST

Interesting Griff - how odd. I've never, anywhere, read or heard of that before!

Anyway, whilst the OED claims that -ize is more traditional but either are acceptable, this publishing house insists on -ise.

Sooo... In short, Aaron was incorrect with something related to spelling?

*Hugs Griff*

PS - I was told either "ise" or "ize" was fine at my school too.

Quote: Paul W @ April 16 2008, 4:29 PM BST

Sooo... In short, Aaron was incorrect with something related to spelling?

Y'know, I've never claimed to be infallible!

Quote: Paul W @ April 16 2008, 4:29 PM BST

PS - I was told either "ise" or "ize" was fine at my school too.

But you're from the north (ish); you can't be expected to understand that words aren't always spelled EXACTLY as they sound in local speech pattern. :P

Well that's cleared that up then!

Quote: Aaron @ April 15 2008, 8:32 PM BST

If you get time to run along to the other end of Oxford Street, you can see the latest Banksy, put up over the weekend.

Nah, the University of Westminster would be infinitely better organised if it was run by Scientologists.

Oh my god I'm going to drag people there tomorrow!
...and that's true. They gave us visitors stickers to get in, but the girls from French just flutter their eyelashes innocently and we get let in.

Robyn, it's right here. (Zoom out a bit.)

You won't have any problem spotting it from Oxford Street. It's freaking huge.

If you let me know what time you'll be there, I'll come and poke you in the eye. Ahahahaha.

Quote: Aaron @ April 16 2008, 5:43 PM BST

I'll come and poke you in the eye.

Thank God you put that last bit.

Laughing out loud

*goes to find people to drag there*
I think they might be a bit confused if I got poked in the eye, or anywhere else :S! I might have to go back another day instead-our tutor is a slave driver.

He poked me in the eye, the bastard! Look see ---> ;)