Alma's Not Normal Page 3

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ 7th February 2022, 9:56 AM

I do actually doubt that though, especially as it's rarely been off our screens. Many under 40 are bound to have caught this, and I'd say a fair share of them would be fans. One reason the Beeb keeps showing it on a loop is it has no blaring unwokenesses that would upset more sensitive generations, little things maybe we wouldn't say much today but on the whole it's a viewer friendly sitcom with a warm heart, and no one got more than a scratched finger although they're supposed to be at war.

Compare it to shows like this, with themes of sex and drug abuse in peacetime where things are much less harmless and gentle.

I don't disagree that it's a nice gentle show that won't scare the horses, but it's got nothing at all to offer the Tik Tok/YouTube generation who watch Netflix and Marvel/Star Wars shows on Disney Plus. And I think that's the problem with old school sitcoms, I don't see them appealing to younger generations, which is why they're not a priority to broadcasters. Conversely, Alma's Not Normal may have appeal to younger viewers.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ 7th February 2022, 9:56 AM

a viewer friendly sitcom with a warm heart, and no one got more than a scratched finger although they're supposed to be at war.

Agreed.

Quote: chipolata @ 7th February 2022, 10:14 AM

.....Alma's Not Normal may have appeal to younger viewers.

Agreed.
My god I'm agreeable today, that's not normal !

Quote: chipolata @ 7th February 2022, 10:14 AM

it's got nothing at all to offer the Tik Tok/YouTube generation who watch Netflix and Marvel/Star Wars shows on Disney Plus

It's got recognisable, eternal character types; it's rooted in their home nation's culture; but most of all, it's funny.

Quote: Aaron @ 7th February 2022, 1:25 PM

It's got recognisable, eternal character types; it's rooted in their home nation's culture; but most of all, it's funny.

You lot need to talk to some young people! I don't know a single one who could watch more than five minutes of Dad's Army without getting bored. I've tried to get a lot of whipper snappers interested in shows I love from the last century and pretty much all attempts have sadly been met with disinterest.

Also, who the hell watches a show out of an interest in a home nation's culture? We're not in North Korea.

Quote: chipolata @ 7th February 2022, 2:33 PM

You lot need to talk to some young people! I don't know a single one who could watch more than five minutes of Dad's Army without getting bored. I've tried to get a lot of whipper snappers interested in shows I love from the last century and pretty much all attempts have sadly been met with disinterest.

Also, who the hell watches a show out of an interest in a home nation's culture? We're not in North Korea.

We must know very different young people.

Also, who the hell watches a show out of an interest in a home nation's culture?

I'd say most of us do through familiarity. Or as lefties are now calling it, unconscious bias.

I don't know a single one who could watch more than five minutes of Dad's Army without getting bored. I've tried to get a lot of whipper snappers interested in shows I love from the last century and pretty much all attempts have sadly been met with disinterest.

That's not just a shame but worrying.

I really hope Series 2 is going to be trific. I have watched the 1st DVD three times over like a nuttah waiting for it. I did watch Ruby Speaking last month to partly fill the void and it was awful.

Thanks for the heads up tonecapone, if you're missing Sophie Willan, her stand up routines are freely available on youtube. Her 2017 Edinburgh Fringe Festival show, received a Herald Angel Award and a nomination for Best Show.

*Edited

Quote: Firkin @ 1st March 2024, 4:17 PM

Thanks for the heads up tonecapone, if you're missing Sophie Willan, her stand up routines are freely available on youtube. Her 2017 Edinburgh Fringe Festival show, received a Herald Angel Award and a nomination for Best Show.

*Edited

She's also on the next series of Taskmaster.

Thanks Chris. She's clearly a smart "out of the box" thinker, as are many others in her Taskmasker cohort, e.g: Frankie Boyle, Jenny Eclair, Julian Clary and Lucy Beaumont. They do seem to theme these. Sue Perkins is presumably in there as the "straight man" she's more versatile than Tommy Cannon ever was (for me).

*Edited.

I've come to this late, as I didn't watch the series when it launched, but am watching the repeats now, and must say I am thoroughly enjoying it! What a talented lady is writer and star Sophie Willan.

Some may flinch at the use of swearing, but it's not gratuitous and fits the situation where needed.

No.

Quote: Aaron @ 16th April 2024, 2:32 PM

No.

That's a shame, as I really got into the series, and the star for me (apart from the leading lady) was Siobhan Finneran who played her mother Lin - excellent tragi-comedy figure.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 17th April 2024, 12:27 AM

That's a shame, as I really got into the series, and the star for me (apart from the leading lady) was Siobhan Finneran who played her mother Lin - excellent tragi-comedy figure.

Not sure if you saw before or after, but I was replying to tonecapone's now-deleted post asking if Series 2 begins next week or not.

It was commissioned but what stage it's at we're not sure. Definitely not airing imminently though.

Thank you Aaron