Does humour help with grief?

Hello - I'm a semi-regular user on here and would like to think that I'm familiar to a few of you? I can be flouncy though.

This very afternoon my husband of twenty-two years and five months died suddenly in front of myself and our sixteen-year-old son. It was a shock. Mr L had had heart problems for many years and was operated on two or so years ago. To be fair, he was always a bit of a hypochondriac, so I didn't always take too much notice of yet another breathless session. It's a little like the Spike Milligan quote "I did tell them that I was ill!" [sic]

I have been watching comedy all evening. The gallows humour keeps me going.

Mrs Logic, I am so utterly sorry for your sudden loss. I cannot imagine what you and your son are going through and my deepest sympathies. I was deeply shocked to read your post and my heart goes out to you. I hope you have family there with you to support you and your son at this tragic time.

Thank you so much for your kind words. I do indeed have family nearby to fully.support us both.

F**king hell, how awful. I'm so sorry.
Comedy definitely helps you forget for a while. When my mum died recently it was probably the only thing that gave me a bit of temporary respite.

When my father died the Catholic priest came in to the house and said " The heat in here would kill you ." He got a laugh . Take care .

Thank you both x

Terrible news. X

My mum died on the 2nd of January - it's sort of blighted the New Year ever since.
Comedy-wise - whatever helps has to be good.

Very sorry to hear this.

Thank you. I really feel like I am amongst friends xx

Years ago, my mother had just bought a card in a hurry for an aunt who'd had a leg amputated. She suddenly burst into mad laughter and showed us the card. A cartoon rabbit with the message "Get well soon and hop out of hospital"

Sorry to hear that. Must be devastating.

The thing that kept my father and me going when my mother died was going to football (as usual) the following Saturday. But I suppose that wouldn't be for everyone...

Jesus, what a start to the new year. I'm so sorry to read what happened.

I think comedy definitely helps with grief; indeed with all types of trauma and emotional shock and upset. Personally I've always found the simple fact of escapism is perhaps more helpful than the humour itself. Getting lost in the fictional world and forgetting your own problems for a while.

I'm so sorry to hear this
Hope you and your son are coping ok

Terribly sorry to hear about your loss, Mrs Logic as well as yours, Lazzard. All the very best to you and your families.