How many beats would you expect in a comedy drama pilot?

I've got the beats down for the series arc but in the actual pilot itself I'm kinda stumped. I've overthought it to the point of nbajsvbdajshdvghjasmvdhjd.

I wouldn't worry about it.
As long as something happens in each scene to push the story forward and the scenes don't drag.
About 20 or so scenes if it's a more 'filmic' sort of show (30mins) - less if it's a workplace/single location based thing, I reckon.
Alternatively take a typical show you like and count the beats.

Thank you. I still don't fully understand what beats are if I'm honest. I've looked at Blake Snyder's one but obviously it's for a movie. I'm happier doing scene x scene.

Neither do I - I was going to ask you too.

Neither do I - I was going to ask you too.

Seriously. What is this about? You ask a question you don't understand and someone gives you an answer. How can you understand the answer?

Well in her defence she's probably being tongue in cheek about not knowing what they are, and is just trying to follow the latest trend in the trade. It is indeed a load of bollocks almost always made up by Americans who love to over tech things and import new devices where they're not needed.

All you need is the basics, which every writer should know. None of that technical twaddle is ever used until the production stage anyway, which is rare for noncommissioned scriptwriters to ever get to.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ 12th October 2023, 8:41 AM

Well in her defence she's probably being tongue in cheek about not knowing what they are, and is just trying to follow the latest trend in the trade. It is indeed a load of bollocks almost always made up by Americans who love to over tech things and import new devices where they're not needed.

All you need is the basics, which every writer should know. None of that technical twaddle is ever used until the production stage anyway, which is rare for noncommissioned scriptwriters to ever get to.

It's for the final major project of the M.A I'm doing. My supervisor has asked me to do it.

Gotta love these forums though. One helpful answer and two......well.....

...well...it would've have helped if you'd said that tbh, or it looks like you're asking as a spec writer of a comedy drama pilot. Of course an academic course is going to go through all the technical methods and devices out there, whether needed in real life situations (like a spec/unsolicited script) or not.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ 12th October 2023, 9:54 AM

...well...it would've have helped if you'd said that tbh, or it looks like you're asking as a spec writer of a comedy drama pilot. Of course an academic course is going to go through all the technical methods and devices out there, whether needed in real life situations (like a spec/unsolicited script) or not.

The question wouldn't have changed, and the point of the whole course is to create a portfolio to take to producers; the final major project particularly so. Writing scripts isn't the academic part, we do essays and reports for that.

It's been the word 'beats' that's thrown me. If it was described as main plot points that drive the story I'd be fine. And if you're not pinning THOSE down in any script you write, whether it's reached production or not, I don't think it's a script that will be going anywhere.

The sarcasm and snark on these forums is off putting. I use them as a last resort now, which is a shame.

They're asking for something that's varies according to the writer's script when there isn't a rigid answer to it. Lazzard's 20 may be common but wouldn't apply to something done by Alan Bennett or one or two others.

But I see he acknowledges that in the 'single location' bit. And I'd say a pilot is going to have less time for busy narrative markers than a further episode because of the introduction it needs (even though these are often overdone).

Quote: Hildegard @ 11th October 2023, 7:00 PM

Thank you. I still don't fully understand what beats are if I'm honest. I've looked at Blake Snyder's one but obviously it's for a movie. I'm happier doing scene x scene.

Blake Synder is best ignored - formulaic nonsense that's been shamelessly lifted from pre-existing structure patterns and monetized.
And no-one really know exactly what constitutes a beat - you'll get different definition from different sources.
A beat sheet is just what you want to happen, and when you want it to happen.
And a beat is something that propels the story forward - often as not changing the direction of the narrative.
A scene without a beat is just filler (establishing shots and B-roll stuff aside)
It's not a gimmick - it's something you need to get sorted at some point.
But, if there's enough action to fill the half-hour, there'll probably be enough beats

No snark from me, just saying you're not going to need to analyse it with technical data if you've got a good flowing narrative script. It come comes with all the right technical things needed attached.

You're right - but one's first draft is rarely - if ever - that.
Story Analysis is like a knowledge of plumbing.
You don't need it to run a bath.
But you do if it starts to leak.

Quote: Lazzard @ 12th October 2023, 10:20 AM

Blake Synder is best ignored - formulaic nonsense that's been shamelessly lifted from pre-existing structure patterns and monetized.
And no-one really know exactly what constitutes a beat - you'll get different definition from different sources.
A beat sheet is just what you want to happen, and when you want it to happen.
And a beat is something that propels the story forward - often as not changing the direction of the narrative.
A scene without a beat is just filler (establishing shots and B-roll stuff aside)
It's not a gimmick - it's something you need to get sorted at some point.
But, if there's enough action to fill the half-hour, there'll probably be enough beats

Thank you 👍

My pleasure. (I said exactly the same thing.)

Quote: Lazzard @ 12th October 2023, 10:24 AM

You're right - but one's first draft is rarely - if ever - that.
Story Analysis is like a knowledge of plumbing.
You don't need it to run a bath.
But you do if it starts to leak.

But you only find this out if you get paid for script feedback. Unless your agent does this for free then you never get to know what's leaking, just a rejection slip at best, or no acknowledgement of your work at all.