Time Flies (1944)

As far as Tommy Handley goes, star of this film, I must be missing something as the reviews generally were glowing, yet I find him seriously unfunny. Very corny jokes and these...........well what do you call them - "Well I'll sew buttons on me old mum's rice pudding" - 'funny' sayings when he's surprised at something that has happened? They leave me dead.

This film seemed to be a co-production as it had a pretty American actress/singer (her last film in a short career, despite living to 92 - I presume she made her name on the stage) and the slickness of an American production, but almost everyone else was British - Felix Aylmer for one, with Pete Murray (yes, the DJ!) with American accent and one line and gone in one minute, and WTF was Stéphane Grappelli (the superb jazz violinist) doing as part of a Elizabethan madrigal outfit?!

There was the joy though with an all too brief appearance of Will Hay's old sidekicks Moore Marriott and Graham Moffatt. I see on the IMDb that Will Hay's last film was in 1943 so perhaps that's part of the reason they started to do other films, and sadly it seems none of that great trio lived to any age, with Moffat dying at only 45.

Aylmer, the professor, has made a time-machine and takes them all back, for some reason, to Elizabethan times (perhaps they'd just done a film set in that period and it saved the extras taking the costumes off) and a jolly time was had by all, except me - this timeI've promised myself never to watch a Tommy Handley film again.

I did notice that Handley was wearing an identical fur coat, oft favoured by that other "comedian" Bud Flanagan, so am wondering if that is the reason neither of them are funny.

I would find it very strange to see just Moore Marriott and Graham Moffatt.

I think I've seen them in two or three films without Will

I'm not surprised,you must have seen more films than Barry Norman.:)

Love B&W British films pre/post War up to about 1960 :)

me too

As with 'It's That Man Again', it's a screwball comedy which relies on others in the cast perhaps more than Handley. If anyone carries the film, it's Evelyn Dall. Sadly, Time Flies has yet make it to DVD. I did suggest it to Network and got a cryptic response. Fingers crossed.

Wrong studio for Network, but I will make some enquiries elsewhere.

Quote: Aaron @ 24th January 2021, 6:16 PM

Wrong studio for Network, but I will make some enquiries elsewhere.

Don't mind who releases it provided it's a decent print (unwatchable DVD-R bootlegs abound). Both ITMA and Time Flies were Gainsborough films. Network released the former so I assumed they'd be in a position to do Time Flies. They've been very good at releasing British films that the majors and boutique labels won't touch.

This film is due to be shown again on Talking Pictures TV on Wednesday 10 February at 06.25.

Quote: Billy Bunter @ 27th January 2021, 11:36 AM

This film is due to be shown again on Talking Pictures TV on Wednesday 10 February at 06.25.

I must remember not to watch.

Quote: Fred487 @ 27th January 2021, 2:21 AM

Both ITMA and Time Flies were Gainsborough films.

Yeah, how ownership has ended up being split is very confusing!